Drunk driving is operating a vehicle when under the influence of drugs or alcohol. There are a lot of accidents caused by drunk driving. This is because a person's reflexes are weakened when a lot of alcoholic drinks or drugs are consumed. Drunk driving is considered a criminal offense in all states. A person caught driving while under the influence can be slapped with a criminal record with the offense driving while intoxicated (DWI), operating while impaired (OWI), driving under the influence (DUI) or operating a vehicle under the influence (OVI).
Here are some facts and statistics that are related to drunk driving:
- Around 16,000 people are killed every year because of operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol. Most of these road accidents occur during the night time or during the holiday season. This is because during the holidays, people usually drink with their families and friends and go to different holiday parties.
- In 2006, Texas was the state that had the largest percentage of deaths that were caused by drunk driving. 46% of the total road fatalities were all related to drunk driving. Alaska is another state that has a big percentage of accidents related to drunk driving. This is in part because Alaska is a cold place and people tend to drink to keep warm.
- More than 10% of the people who face a DUI arrest are not yet of age to drink alcohol. 10% of them are aged 18 - 20.
- Thanksgiving is the holiday when most driving alcohol-related accidents occur. New Year's just comes in second.
- There are different DUI laws for some states in the United States.
- A percentage of people who are charged with drunk driving do not know that they are entitled to have a DUI lawyer.
- The more alcohol a drunk driver consumes, the more likely he will have an alcohol-related road accident. A person's senses become impaired when under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and that is why people are not allowed to operate vehicles when drunk or drugged.
- Drunk driving articles or stories do not lessen the percentage of drunk driving accidents that happen.
- Approximately 50% to 70% of people who have had their license revoked because of drunk driving still continue to drive even if they have no license. This may result in other criminal offenses.
- In the United States, a person is killed due to drunk driving approximately every 40 minutes.
These are just some of the facts and statistics that are related to drunk driving. Everyday, people die on the road because of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. It is important for you to know the risks and possible accidents that may occur when you drink and drive. Many vehicular accidents result in fatality. Some of the people who have experienced road accidents may lose their limbs or have permanent damage in their bodies. This is why drunk driving is a very heavy offense.