With gas prices slated to remain in the four dollar range for the foreseeable future, many consumers are looking for ways to reduce costs. Limiting the trips they take or planning combined trips to reduce mileage are common techniques.
Another idea is to improve the gas mileage your vehicle gets. There are many ways you can do this. If you want to dramatically improve your car's gas mileage -- maybe double or even triple it -- have you considered converting your car to a water hybrid? That's a do-it-yourself project that saves you gas and helps reduce emissions as well.
Though not as dramatic, you should be able to save on gas and make your vehicle more efficient by following the steps below.
- Track your mileage to find your baseline. The next time you fill up your tank, write down the mileage on your odometer. Drive normally until your next fill-up. Then write down the new mileage as well as the number of gallons you pumped to fill the tank. Divide the number of miles by the number of gallons. This is your present (and likely inefficient) mileage.
- Update your vehicle’s maintenance. Vehicles that get regular maintenance – including oil changes, replacing dirty air filters and engine tune-ups – run more efficiently and therefore get better mileage. Make sure to keep your tires inflated as well.
- Remove excess weight. If you drive around with your trunk loaded with boxes to take to goodwill or hefty emergency kits, you may be impacting your mileage. Don’t remove anything that you may need for your safety. Do remove anything that you don’t need every day.
- Slow down. Driving at high speeds uses more fuel. Start slowing down to the speed limit in areas where you are prone to driving at excessive speeds. This tip applies to acceleration as well. Don’t accelerate quickly off the start, ease into it.
- Don’t idle. Idling for long periods of time may use gas. If you are stopping somewhere for more than a few minutes, turn the car off.
- Continue to track your vehicle mileage with each fill-up. By tracking your mileage you should notice the improvement soon after you have begun following these tips.
Given the chance we can all reduce our gas mileage. Just follow these steps and keep accurate records and you will be well on your way to getting more gas for your money.