A transmission or a gearbox is the element in the vehicle that gives torque to the vehicle. Transmissions are used for both automatic and manual cars. The main difference between the two is the way the gears are shifted. In an automatic car, the gears automatically change and for the manual car, the driver must be the one to change the gears. Your transmission must be in good condition in order for your vehicle to perform its best. There are some signs to help you know if you need a new transmission for your car.
Here are some of the hints that you car may need a new transmission:
- Bumpy ride. One of the signs that your car transmission needs repair is when your ride is not smooth. You can notice this especially when you are driving at high speeds. If you feel bumpy during the ride, you may have problems with your gears and they may need to be changed.
- Burned rubber smell. Another sign that you car needs the transmission change is the presence of a burned rubber smell. In this case, it is best if you bring your car to a certified automotive specialist to see what the problem is. If you go on driving your car in this condition, the gears may get worse and can create bigger problems for you in the future.
- Leaking car. If you see any leaks coming from your car when you are parked, this is a sign that you need a new transmission. If you have no experience with cars, you can take your car to an auto-mechanic so that they can see what the problem is. Leakages can be easy or hard to repair based on where the leaks are coming from. If you continue to drive your car even when there are leaks, there is a tendency that your car might stall in the middle of the road.
- Bad clutch. For manual cars, the clutch is needed for you to shift gears. If you are finding it hard to shift gears, you may have to replace the clutch in your car, especially if the vehicle has reached a high mileage. The shifting of gears depends greatly on the clutch so you have to make sure that the clutch is working properly.
- Engine lights. Some cars come with an automatic engine light that goes on whenever there is a problem with the car. You can tell if there is a problem with your car when the engine light goes on. Even if you have the smallest problem with your car, this light will go on so it is best to pay attention on the engine lights.
These are some of the signs that you have to watch out for when your car needs a new transmission. It is essential that you take your car to the car shop once in a while just to see if everything is in good condition. By doing this, you can make sure that your car can last for a long time and you won't have to spend a lot for repairs.