Some people who own motorcycles want the loud and aggressive sound of the muffler. However, not all motorcycle mufflers produce this sound. You can have your muffler changed by a mechanic but you have to be ready to spend a few hundred dollars. The solution to this is to make your muffler louder by yourself. By doing this, you will be able to save lots of money that you can spend on other motorcycle accessories.
Here are the steps on how you can make a motorcycle muffler louder:
- Materials that you need. The materials that you need to make your muffler louder are WD40, an electric drill, vise grips, arbor extension and a hole saw. You can find these from your local hardware store or auto store.
- Preparation. Use the WD40 and spray the end of the exhaust pipe of your motorcycle. The oil will make it easier for you to cut through the exhaust pipe. Keep on spraying until the entire pipe is well lubricated.
- Cut the exhaust pipe. Once the exhaust pipe is coated with grease, you can start cutting. Saw the end of the exhaust pipe until you reach the chrome ring. Keep on spraying on WD40 if you are having a hard time doing this. Cut the exhaust pipe until you go reach the inner workings of the exhaust pipe.
- Connect the vice grips. Get the vice grips and connect it to the baffle that you can find in the exhaust pipe. This is the component that silences the motorcycle when you use it. You have to remove this component so that you can increase the sound of your muffler. Get a good grip on the baffle, bend it and then pull it out from the exhaust pipe. The baffle should come right out. Set the baffle aside.
- Remove the other baffle. There is another baffle that you have to remove on the other exhaust pipe. This baffle may be more difficult to access than the first one. To reach it, you can use the arbor extension. Another option is to remove the pipe first so that you can easily access the baffle and remove it. Pull the baffle from the exhaust and then replace the pipe if you removed it.
- Test your motorcycle. Now that you have removed the baffles from your motorcycle, you can test to see if you get a louder sound from your muffler. Start your motorcycle and rev the engine. Go around your neighborhood to see how loud your muffler is now that the baffles are gone.
These are the steps that you can follow if you want to make the sound of
your muffler louder. It is important that you know how to do simple
repairs and installations on your motorcycle so that you can do it on
your own. This will save you lots of money. Just make sure that you
follow instructions and that you know what you are doing to avoid
damaging the parts of your motorcycle.