The seat pan is part of the motorcycle that fits the contour of the buttocks. The pan is shaped in a certain way for a comfortable riding experience. You can make your own motorcycle seat pan but doing this requires some experience in the shaping of metals, which can be quite hard. This can save you some money. Follow the instructions provided below to make a motorcycle seat pan.
These are the instructions on how you can make a seat pan for your motorcycle:
- Materials that you need. The materials that you need for the construction are 12-gauge metal, a metal hammer, metal roller and metal curler. Purchase the 12-gauge metal from your local hardware store. If you do not have the other materials at home, you can check out your local auto shop to see if they rent these.
- Determine the shape of your seat pan. The first thing that you have to do is shape your seat pan. Get a piece of paper and design the shape that you want. When you are happy with the design, you can transfer it to the 12-gauge metal that you have. Trace the design and an about a half inch allowance all over the shape. Cut out the shape that you have, including the allowance. The allowance will be bent so that the seat pan can be attached to the seat of your motorcycle.
- Bend the seat pan. Use the metal curler to bend the allowance of the seat pan down. Make sure that you bend only until the allowance. Check if the seat pan is symmetrical on both sides. Afterwards, get rid of the rough edges on the ends of the metal by grinding.
- Hammer down seat pan. Use the metal hammer to hammer down at the center of the seat pan to provide some grooves. This is important so that the seat pan will be comfortable to sit on. The idea is to make a bucket shape on the seat pan. Be careful when hammering so that you do not overdo it.
- Roll the seat pan. Once you are done with hammering, you will notice that the grooves may not be as smooth as you like. This is where you must use the metal roller. Use the metal roller to smoothen out the grooves on the metal. When you are happy with the shape, buff the metal seat pan until it is smooth.
- Check the seat pan with your motorcycle. After you are done with the seat pan, check if it fits the seat of your motorcycle well so that it cannot be removed easily. If the seat pan is to lose for your motorcycle seat, you can adjust the size by shaping it more snuggly.
Now you know how to make a seat pan for your motorcycle. The next step
is to attach the seat pan to your motorcycle. Secure it in place and you
are good to go. Test your motorcycle to see if you are comfortable with
the shape of the seat pan that you have made.