Also known as a Universal Product Code, a UPC Number is a a unique 12-digit number that is given to retail goods to classify the product and its seller. Usually it is located near the bar code. This has practically become a requirement for all retail merchandises to easily monitor the comings and goings of commodities in each store. Obtaining a UPC number is easy. Read on and learn more about how to apply for one.
- Go online and visit the Uniform Code Council website or call them at 1-934-435-3870. Ask them about anything you want and need to know about acquiring a UPC number for your merchandise. In their website, you will need to register first by filling up their membership application form. This is a requirement that you need to do in order to obtain the number.
- Make sure you provide them all requested information about your company such as your annual revenue, company's description, the amount of products that will be needing a number and the number of store locations that you have nationwide (if applicable).
- There will be a fee that you need to pay for completing your application process. The cost differs depending on the kind of product that you have and how many numbers you are requesting.
- Once approved, you will be given an identification number for your business. You are now a member of their organization.
- Now that you're in, you will need to fill up a form that will establish a UPC number for your merchandise. Make sure you follow the step-by-step guide provided on the website. Take note of their phone number and email address for future references.
- When you have successfully filed the form, you will be given UPC numbers for your product. You can then start printing this out. It would be advisable to contact a printing company who does UPC labels. Or if you want to do it on your own, you can search for software that supports this kind of printing in the Internet, this way, you can print the UPC labels straight from your printer.
Things you need to remember:
- Make sure all the information that you have given on all forms (both for the membership and application) are accurate.
- You have to be very clear about the description of your company and the amount of UPC numbers that you need.
- Always keep their phone number in case something goes wrong with your application.
- After paying the designated fee, it would usually take a maximum of 5 days to get your approval. If you have not heard from them in one week, do not hesitate to call and follow-up your application.
It is quick and easy, with the use of the Internet, you can apply for a UPC number without having to leave your home. Just remember, if you are not sure of something or anything for that matter, do not hesitate to ask. Call the Uniform Code Council and verify any questions from them immediately.