How To Change a Quit Claim to a Warranty Deed

A warranty deed is a type of agreement between the seller and a buyer. The seller, who is the previous owner of the property, gives the rights of the property to the buyer or the new owner of the house. These are the things that are contained in the warranty deed. On the other hand, a quit claim deed is one that is used to transfer the property to another person or family member. Quit claim deeds are popular during a divorce, when one end gives up the rights of the property to the other.

It is said that a quit claim deed is not changeable to a warranty deed. Instead, you will have to create another warranty deed in order for the record of the property to be changed and updated.

Here are the simple steps on how you can change a quit claim deed into a warranty deed:

Prepare for the warranty deed. As preparation, you have to make sure that both parties are in agreement with the warranty deed that is going to be drawn out. Some of the things needed are the full names of both sides (grantor and grantee) and some witnesses.

Get and fill out warranty deed form. You can make your own warranty deed form with the help of an attorney, or you can also download several templates that you can just fill out and change some entries from the Internet. One website where you can see a sample of a warranty deed form is On this sample, you will see the necessary information that must be included in the warranty deed. You can get some of the warranty deed templates for free and some of them you have to pay for.

Sign the deed. After reading the contents of the deed, the grantor and the grantee must sign the deed. Also, have the witnesses to each party also sign the warranty deed.

Have the deed notarized. When the warranty deed is complete with all the signatures, you must have it notarized in order to affirm the changes in the documents of a particular property. This is needed in order for the public record to be accepted as a legitimate change to the status of the property.

Record the deed. After notarizing the deed, the next step is to have the warranty deed recorded. Bring the warranty deed with you and go to the court to have it recorded under the file for the property that you are changing. This now changes the quit claim to a warranty deed.

These are the steps that you have to go through in order to change a quit claim into a warranty deed. If you are not sure of what you are doing and you do not know what you need to include in the deed, you can consult a lawyer regarding the procedure so that you can get help and understand the things that are need to be done.


Share this article!

Follow us!

Find more helpful articles: