Safety meetings are very helpful means of managing the safety risk in a workplace. Conducting safety meetings is a waste of time, though, if a comprehensive safety program does not exists. Hence, you need to create a good safety program to make your safety meeting efficient. Your program will serve as an outline of the things to be tackled in the safety meeting.
If you want to have a successful safety meeting, here are the things that you should remember.
- Notify everyone two weeks before the meeting. In order to ensure that everyone will be at the specified date of the safety meeting, you need to inform him or her ahead of time, preferable two weeks before the meeting. In addition, you must remind everyone two days before the actual meeting. Your notification should include a specified date, time and venue of the meeting. This way, the staff and employee can block their schedule for the said event.
- Organize the agenda of the meeting. Make sure that you select the topics that are essential and related to the company’s safety policy and status. You might also want to gather safety data to be presented in the meeting. Make sure that the order of your agenda is organized.
- Provide everyone with an outline of the agenda. This will help encourage them to review and attend the meeting. Make sure that your outline will provide interesting and informative details regarding the safety meeting.
- Start the meeting on time. Begin the safety meeting strictly on time. This will show the people who will attend the seminar how serious the agenda is.
- Make an introduction. Begin the meeting by introducing yourself and having an icebreaker. If you have other speakers, introduce them as well. Remind everyone about the guidelines of the agenda and inform them that they are free to ask questions if they want to. This will also be the perfect time to inform them the rules and regulations in the meeting.
- Explain the purpose of the agenda. After all the introductions are made, start the agenda by providing the attendees the purpose of the meeting. Make sure that all important aspects are covered and explain why is it important to attend and understand what is going to be tackled. You can present data and a brief overview and history of the company’s safety policy. Make sure that you get the attention of the attendees here.
- Formulate plan of action to improve safety policy. After you have discussed all the current policy, situations and happenings related to the agenda, you can now discuss the plan that is designed to improve the quality of safety policy in the company. You should also include the procedures to be taken.
These are the things that you should take note of when conducting safety meetings. When you end the meeting, make sure to have a positive recognition at the end. You may choose whatever positive recognition you think will work. Just remember that the point of the positive recognition is to reinforce everyone about the safety policy in the company.