Business organizations are aware that information strategy is highly crucial to the success of every business. It is difficult to sustain a business in today’s very competitive and innovative world minus a framework for information strategy, which is the organization’s integrated plan for processing, delivery, and presentation of information. Hence regardless of the size and nature of businesses, companies invest on IT infrastructure for real-time communication, automation of systems, and other applications. However some organizations fail to optimize the availability and functionality of information technology in managing and delivering information relative to achieving business goals. The following are tips to building or developing a framework for business information strategy.
- Evaluate your business strategy and design an information strategy according to your assessment. A comprehensive evaluation of your business structure is imperative prior to planning your information strategy as these two have to correlate in order to be effective. Define your mission, your services, your market, and your goals. Assess how your company manages information and processes transactions in your business framework from meetings, deadlines, policies, business rules, budget, accounting, organizational charts, reports, to communications. Review your company’s operational strategy, customer strategy, success strategy, etc. Know how automated systems can help you achieve your business goals. What are the tools and resources your organization needs?
- Determine what IT services are required to support your people and your clients. Who will be accountable for delivering and supporting certain types of services? What programs are applicable for delivering information and services? How is data sharing going to be implemented? Identify which data is solely for corporate use. Needless to say analysis and control of such are highly significant for security purposes.
- Should there be any changes pertaining to your services including your business strategy, ensure that your information processes are also equipped with the latest technology to address variations in the most functional manner.
- Create a development plan that is easy and convenient to use. The system you employ must yield consistent, clean, and organized information across all divisions in the company in a timely manner. If you have to provide information to external users or to the public, the same quality of information must be provided. All persons granted authority to access information must find the system applications easy to use. Computer systems applied must provide service quality, both for internal and external users.
- Implement IT service management that addresses service strategy, service design, service transition, service operation, and continual service improvement based on the IT Infrastructure Library or ITIL which is used by organizations throughout the world in establishing and developing service management capabilities.
- Create a Service Support that will provide real-time assistance to internal and external users in cases of difficulties. IT service support is expected to resolve issues pertaining to system changes, updates, or queries.
Business framework for information strategy must always aim to provide consistency, transparency, and quality in business processes that will support success strategy employed by an organization. With a defined framework and integration of business processes and information strategy your company sustains competitive advantage.