How To Get a Class 3 Federal Firearms License

If you want to open a business selling firearms and ammunition that the National Firearms Act approves of, you need to get a Class 3 Federal Firearms License. The Gun Control Act of 1968 requires all individuals and companies who sell, manufacture and import firearms to acquire an FFL before engaging in this kind of business. If you have this license, you have unlimited rights to procure and sell guns. The Act also requires the sellers to closely monitor the sale of firearms and ammunition. Here’s how to get a Class 3 FFL.

  • To obtain an FFL, you have to be at least 21 years old. You should not have a police record where you have violated the Gun Control Act previously or have committed any crime, or been convicted for using a controlled substance. They have a database where they check all applicants for any trouble with the police involving firearms and other crimes. You will not be issued an FFL if you appear on their database.
  • Find a suitable location for your business where it is allowed to sell firearms and ammunition. You cannot do business in your garage or on the Internet. Install safety features in your place of business because you are dealing with firearms. Install vaults where you can store all your merchandise and closed circuit cameras that will monitor the comings and goings of customers and to avoid any burglary.
  • Request for a packet from your local BATFE office with the ATF Form 7 and fingerprint cards. It will be delivered to you through mail. Fill out the form and put your fingerprints on the fingerprint cards. If you don’t have a fingerprinting kit at home, you can go to your local police station and have them help you put your fingerprints on the cards. After you have accomplished this, mail the packet to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosive office together with your picture and a check for the fee that you have to pay. Ask the BATFE of the appropriate fees to be paid.
  • Once your application has been received, the BATFE will then check you if you have been convicted of any crime or if you fit their requirements. They have sixty days from receipt of your application to either approve or deny your application for an FFL. Make sure to fill out the forms completely and accurately. They will not process an application with incomplete information on the form.
  • Once your FFL application has been approved, you can now be a firearms dealer.

If you are a gun collector, you cannot obtain a Class 3 Federal Firearms License. The FFL is solely for the purpose of manufacturing, selling and importing firearms and ammunition. In doing business, always be honest. Sell only the kinds of firearms and ammunition that are allowed to be sold. You can only start your business if you have already been issued a Class 3 Federal Firearms License. If you start buying and selling the merchandise while your license is still being processed, you will be fined and you will no longer be issued an FFL.


Share this article!

Follow us!

Find more helpful articles: