How To Get the Right Treatment After a Car or Truck Accident

Getting the Right Medical Treatment Following a Serious Accident

So you have been involved in a serious car accident, truck accident, or motorcycle accident.  What kind of medical treatment should you get?  The most common complaint following a car accident is injury to the neck and back.  Should you go the emergency room?  Should you see your primary care physician?  Should you see a chiropractor?  If you follow the steps in this article you will be getting the right care to treat your injuries and preserve a possible accident injury claim.

Step 1

Initial treatment for personal injuries from a car accident should be at the emergency room.  Even if you "feel okay" it is important to get diagnostic care and treatment at the hospital ON THE DAY OF THE CRASH.  Trauma physicians at the emergency room are trained to seek out the most severe injuries, including internal bleeding and neurological trauma.  Don't wait till the following day to go to the emergency room.  Demand that the police who arrive on the scene dispatch an ambulance for your transportation to the hospital.

Step 2

Following treatment at the emergency room and discharge, make sure to abide by the recommendations made by the ER doctors, including follow-up with your primary care physician.  Your primary doctor is most familiar with your medical history and may be able to refer you to a specialist.  Don't rest on the sole recommendations of a primary (family) doctor.  They are not specialists in every area of medicine.  For instance, if you have a back or spine injury, you wouldn't go to a foot doctor.  The same can be said about your primary care physician.

Step 3

Lastly, seek care and treatment from an orthopedist for all spine, neck and back injuries.  DO NOT SEE A CHIROPRACTOR until AFTER you go to the orthopedist.  There is a common misconception that following a car accident you should go to the chiropractor first.  This is not sound judgment.  If you have a disc protrusion or annular tear, chiropractic manipulation can actually make the injury worse.  Only a qualified orthopedist can properly diagnose and treat a neck and spine injury.

If you have been injured in a car accident, truck accident, or motorcycle accident, contact a Personal Injury Lawyer and get advice on how to protect your injury claim.  An injury attorney can also provide you with information on which doctors are specialized to treat trauma associated with these types of accidents. 

If you live or suffered an accident in Missouri, the author encourages you to consult with his own his own qualified group of attorneys for help and advice.

Share this article!

Follow us!

Find more helpful articles: