Inventors aren’t crazy scientists or nerds. They are people just like you and me who happened to have thought of a new way of doing something. If you think that your path to riches is to invest a new product that everyone will want and need, you need to put your thinking cap on and start generating ideas. It’s not always a simple process but it can be very rewarding.
Here’s how to invent new products.
- Observe. Look around you and see what it is that you think the world needs but doesn’t have yet. You can also look to nature to get ideas for how to create and do things. Inventors are inquisitive, observant and can take note of little details that make a difference.
- Think of a need. It is said that necessity is the mother of invention. It’s true. When you’re going about your daily tasks, try to think of something that would make your job easier. If you need or want it, chances are, someone out there may feel the same way. Some of the best selling products today came from the minds of ordinary individuals who thought of a need and worked out a system to solve that dilemma.
- Think of an innovation. One of the simplest ways to come up with a new product is to modify an existing one. Ever look at something and said, “this would be better if….” If you can fill in the “if”, you have yourself an invention. By simply changing the position or design or adding a new element to an existing product, you have the potential of coming up with something new.
- Don’t be afraid to try. Most inventions and great ideas never materialize because people put themselves down even before they get started. If you have a great idea, hand on to it with a passion and refine your idea. Formulate a plan. Be willing to take a risk and see where it takes you. Have passion for your invention and what you do. If you haven’t thought of a specific something, simply let your mind roam and be ready to write down an ideas that may come to you.
- Patent your work. Once you work on your invention, make sure that it is original. Check the patents office and see if there is already an existing product or item that has been patented already. If not, you can choose to work with a patents attorney. It is important that you protect your idea so that you can get the credit and the money for your great invention. You never know, your patented invention may be used by someone else to complete an even better and bigger product.
- Get investors. It takes money to get an invention off the ground. If you don’t have money to finance your product, you may need to get friends and family members to invest in you. Some people even take out a second mortgage to get an invention off the ground.
These suggestions don’t guarantee that you’ll come up with a new product. Your success will still depend on your willingness to put in the time and effort to come up with something new and innovative. If you put careful thought into something, you may just surprise yourself.