So you think you have the business acumen to start a new e-business? It seems exciting and you know several people who can help you out with it. Take heart, for you may not know it, but your passion can bring in the money.
First of all, you need to define what you really want to do. If you think that this can spur you to continue despite the odds, then, you are on your way to discover the exciting way of launching your e-business. Now you are ready to identify what that one thing you really love doing. When you have identified what you really want to do, then you are ready to embark on your new e-business.
- Branding. The first thing to consider when starting an e-business is the brand. With a lot of companies selling online, you should try to stand out from the crowd. With respect to brand, you should already try to get a good domain for your planned business. Think of something that will be easy to remember, and that will stick to the minds of your potential customers.
Most word-oriented domains might be difficult to purchase because domain marketers and speculators already get these in anticipation of future demand. But the trick here is to use variations of the domain. For instance, the company that runs the "Dropbox" software realized that dropbox.com is already taken. So they registered getdropbox.com. Same with other services like BackPack, which settled for backpackit.com.
- Hosting. You can get your own domain names and hosting for a nominal fee. It is important that you have your own site because you will need to refer people to it, and you would like to have full control over how it appears online. You can also get product reviews and you can make your products more accessible to everyone if you have your own site. There are also tools which you can use to build your site and these are even available for free. You need to be more resourceful so that as you build your site, you will not incur too many expenses in the process.
- Search optimization. The best way to let people find you is to optimize your business site for search engines. You should use relevant keywords on your website, and design your site with Web standards in mind, to make it easier for search bots to index your web pages. You should also try to participate in good link "neighborhoods" with quality sites linking back to your new e-business site.
- Marketing. The trick to succeeding in an e-business is spreading the word to potential customers by word of mouth. Viral marketing is very inexpensive, and you use the power of crowds to bring awareness to your products and services. You should also establish a strong web presence by running a blog and by networking through social network sites.
- Affiliate marketing. One way of marketing your online business is by running an affiliate marketing scheme. Here you are essentially letting other people have a share of your earnings, but they help spread the word actively by pushing your products or service on their own websites. Then with each sale, they get a commission.
The secret to being successful here is that you really love what you are doing. This can manifest in the way you conduct business so you must be extra conscious about the time and effort you will put into your business.