A Federal Tax Identification Number is given by the Internal Revenue Services or IRS to all business as a way of identifying a business when it files its income tax returns. It is also known as an Employee ID Number or EIN.
As a consumer, you have the right to have access information about companies and organizations that you are dealing with. For example, if you would like to make a charitable donation, perhaps you would like to know if a business is for profit or a non-profit organization. Also, if you yourself own a business, you need to know your tax ID number so you can ensure that your paperwork and tax filing with the IRS is clean and without any problems.
Here’s how to look up a business by its tax ID number.
- Check with the IRS database. Go to the IRS website at irs.gov and type in the employee identification number that you have (EIN). For a non-profit business, it should turn up on the site and the corresponding information about the company may be provided.
- Call the IRS directly. Call the toll free number of the IRS at 1-800-829-4933 to get a representative to assist you. Be prepared to answer why you want to know the information and what you will use it for. If you can’t talk to a live representative, your other option is to go to a local IRS office and ask for some assistance.
- Use an EIN finder. Try einfinder.com and see if you can use this service to retrieve the name of the company attached to the tax ID number that you have on file. There is a minimal fee that you need to pay to be able to get the information.
- Use EDGAR. The Electronic Data Gathering, Analysis and Retrieval System is a data processing system by the Securities and Exchange Commission. If you want to look up a for profit business, you can look it up using EDGAR. There are any of three forms that companies are required to fill out through EDGAR: 8-K; 10-K or the 10-Q form.
- Use Melissa Data. Another database you can use to retrieve and cross check a tax identification number is Melissa Data. You may need to know at least the zipcode of the main office of the company to be able to retrieve and cross check this information. This is what you will use if the business you are looking for is a non-profit organization.
- Ask the business or organization. Ask the company representative for the EIN of the business if you are unsure or don’t know what it is. You can get this information from the accounting department of a company. If the company is a non-profit organization, it is required to give your its Tax ID number for your own tax deductions.
Once you retrieve the information you are searching for, be sure to use it for legal purposes only. With a little diligence, you will be able to identify a business name based on the minimal amount of information you have.