Industrial accidents are disasters that happen in industrial business sites. Aside from accidental happenings, industrial accidents can also be caused by negligence on the part of the company or incompetence of personnel. A lot of industrial disasters have happened since the 19th century. Some examples of some industrial accidents include the Courrieres Mine Disaster in France, the Boston Molasses Disaster, The Port Chicago Disaster and the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire in New York City.
Legal measures have been passed in order to avoid occupational accidents. These prevention measures help decrease the chances of industrial accidents from happening. Here are some of the ways how to prevent these accidents:
- Danger zone warnings. A lot of industrial accidents result from neglecting to inform or warn people of danger zones. In industrial settings, there are places that have industrial hazards that can lead to different kinds of accidents. For this, it is imperative that the people working on the site are warned. Safety engineers are the ones who will be responsible for this.
- Quality assurance of equipment. Another cause of industrial accidents is due to equipment that is not checked for quality. This can cost the lives of the employees. Every so often, equipment must be checked for quality. It must pass the established standards in order for it to be used.
- Employee training. Employee incompetence is another thing that causes injury accidents. In order for employees to work in dangerous settings, they must be trained how to handle certain equipment and dangerous substances. This will ensure that they know how to handle and operate heavy and dangerous equipment.
- Emergency briefing of employees. Employees must be briefed on emergency procedures when industrial accidents happen. If employees aren’t briefed, there is a bigger chance that more people can be harmed when accidents occur. Panicking or not knowing what to do when faced with a difficult situation may cause this.
- Proper handling of hazardous waste materials. Some industrial accidents occur because of proper disposal of hazardous waste materials and chemicals. This may cause fires and explosions. Employees should be briefed on the proper handling and disposal of these materials to avoid untoward incidents.
- Health and safety inspection checks. There are some non-profit organizations that conduct health and safety inspection checks in different industrial settings. These organizations not only inspect the workplace, but they also provide training to employees, consulting for improvement and dissemination of important information on industrial health and safety.
These are some of the preventive measures done in order to avoid industrial accidents. Although these measures may be implemented, there may still be accidents that cannot be avoided. Some of these can be caused by natural disasters that can strike at any given moment.
It is important that all these safety measures are implemented in order to have a secure work environment where negligence and incompetence cannot be blamed for accidents that occur. With these prevention methods, industrial accident rates will surely decrease.