How To Replace a Naturalization Certificate

No one wants to have the headache and panic that comes with losing an important document such as your naturalization certificate. It happens to all of us at some point and time, but you do not have to worry, you can get your documents replaced by following a few simple steps.

If you do not have internet at home, many libraries have the internet free to use with a library card. The website you need to visit is This link will provide you with the N-565 Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document from the Department of Homeland Security U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

When filling out the N-565 application, part one requires all your personal information. Part two is labeled Type of Application, under the first section labeled number 1-I Hereby Apply For, you are going to check the box labeled b next to new naturalization certificate. Below you will see the heading numbered 2-Basis for Application, it is here that you are to check the box A- my certification was lost, stolen, or destroyed. Next you will need to explain briefly how it was lost, stolen or destroyed.  Continue to fill out the remaining sections, sign and date your application.

Locating your nearest United States Immigration office can be done online at the website: Once you have the website on the computer screen, follow these steps to locate your nearest immigration application office.

1. To the left click on Services and Benefits
2. To the left click on Application Support Centers
3. In the middle of the page click on Application Center Locator
4. Enter your zip code in the box, and click find my office or click on your state in the large yellowish/orange map of the United States.

Where to mail your application:
For the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Washington D.C, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Virgin Islands, Vermont, West Virginia

Texas Service Center
P.O. BOX 851182
Mesquite, TX 75185-1182

For the following states: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Guam , Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Montana, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Nebraska Service Center
P.O. BOX 87565
Lincoln, NE 68501-7565

You will need to enclose with your application a check or money order that is from a bank or credit union in the United States of America, in the amount of $380. It must be in the form of United States currency in order for them to process your application. You want to make your check or money order payable to Department of Homeland Security if you reside in the United States. If you live in Guam, you will need to make it payable to Treasurer Guam. For people living in the Virgin Islands, make your check or money order payable to Commissioner of Finance of the Virgin Islands. For people who live outside the United States, you will have to contact your U.S. embassy for details on how to mail your payments.

For any questions regarding processing time, or to make an appointment with an agent, you can call the following number 1-800-375-5283, for people who are hearing impaired the TDDY number is 1-800-767-1833. If you wish your application to be processed faster, there is a premium process service available for applications.


Share this article!

Follow us!

Find more helpful articles: