Nowadays, you can do almost anything on the Internet. That includes selling your wares. Isn't it amazing to know that you can be selling your old furniture or gadgets without even leaving your chair or posting it to your local paper's classified ads? Posting what you are selling in any online classifieds site is as easy as buying an ad space in your local paper. However, since it is on the Internet, you will need to take special considerations like online etiquette and identity security issues.
If you are interested in selling using online classifieds, here are some things you should know:
- Find an online classifieds site. An example of a popular online classifieds site will be Ebay. You will need to create an account by signing up on your site of choice. You will need to register with your email address and a contact number. Be careful in giving out very important contact information like addresses. It would be fine to just display the state where you are from in your profile and not your complete home or office address. You have your contact number displayed anyway.
- Prepare your inventory. What are you going to sell? You will need to prepare the items for selling. Take a picture of each of the products that you will be selling, and be ready to post them on the online classifieds site where you signed up. Make a list of their general and specific features. If you are selling an appliance or gadget, it would be best to input the specifications. These you will find in the manual. Be as honest as possible in describing the present state of the product you are selling. For example, you can write "Slightly used but has a minor scratch on the exterior." Post the picture of the product and the details under the appropriate product category.
- Set a reasonable price. Compare your price against the price of others for the same product. You can do this by searching the Internet for offerings on the same product as what you are selling. You should indicate in your ad post if you are including the delivery cost or not.
- Consider add-ons. Some online classifieds sites have options to highlight your ads or make it featured on their home page but at an additional price. If you are prepared to pay extra, that would not be a problem at all.
- Think about the duration. Most online classifieds sites have a set number of days when they will post your ad. You will have an option to renew it or take it down after the period that you have specified.
- Be a reliable seller. This means that from the moment you set your ad up, you are prepared to handle inquiries and meet-ups. You will also need to be within reach even after the sale is done just in case your buyer still has inquiries.
Even if your selling venture is Internet-based, you should be acting every inch like a business person. Remember this and your career in online classifieds selling is a guaranteed success!