If you'd like to start an art supplies business, it's a good idea to first understand what artists need. Many people are into arts and crafts. They need art supplies to be able to enjoy this type of hobby. If you are interested in arts and crafts too, starting your own art supplies business may be right for you. You need the money and the right business skills to launch your art supplies business.
Here are some helpful tips on how to set up your own art supplies business:
1. Think of a unique business name for your art supplies store. The name should be catchy and easy to remember.
2. Write a business plan. You should have a business plan so you can foresee problems and come up with real solutions.
3. Register your art supplies business and get necessary permits to operate your business.
4. Look for a good location. Location is one of the important factors in making your business successful. You can either rent or build your own shop strategically located in crowded areas or establishments. Just make sure that you are not competing with a major art supplies store in your vicinity.
5. Find wholesalers. You need to find reliable wholesalers that can meet your requirements. Build a good relationship with them and ask for wholesale terms and discounts.
6. Know what your prospective customers need.
- If you want to focus on supplying a school (nursery, elementary and high school students), you need to have stocks of crayons, coloring pens, clays, and the like.
- If you want to focus on supplying university clients (college students), you need to have stocks of graphic supplies, palettes, acrylic paints and the like.
7. Advertise your art supplies business. Every business needs to advertise in order to gain popularity as well as profits. There are many ways to advertise your business:
- Distribute promotional products that have your contact details imprinted on them.
- Distribute fliers to homes, schools and daycare centers.
- Advertise your business in art newsgroups, online forums and your website. Many people are buying products and services online, including art supplies. Sell art supplies that they can't find in any local store. Create mailing lists of prospective customers and update them with new offers regularly.
8. Know your competitors. See what you can sell that is uniquely different from your business rivals. You need to look for art supplies that are not presented at major stores.
9. Learn from the pro. You can ask advice from people outside your area who are already in the business.
10. Be creative. You can make your own arts and crafts supplies by simply using the raw materials around you. Try selling a few samples to your customers. When they like it, produce more and sell it for an affordable price.
Starting your own art supplies business is possible if you have the money and the right skills - you can pick up some of the necessary skills by attending online classes. You need to have a background in arts and crafts so you answer your customer's inquiries. Customers feel calm when they know that the supplier is capable of helping them.