One of the most common civil lawsuits is the personal injury claim. If you suffered injuries or damages, lost of work or income because of some accident, you may be entitled for a personal injury claim. Below are ways on how to settle it.
- Consult a doctor and have your injuries checked. You should have your injury checked by the doctor no matter how grave or how small your injury may appear. You may not know it, but a small wound may have some serious complications absent a professional check up. Never forget to take pictures of your injuries even the slightest scratch.
- Make a documentation of your accident. Document all the necessary details of the accident such as the date, time and place, wages lost, what injuries were sustained as well as the as medical expenses incurred. If your accident involves motor vehicles, include the conditions of the road and the weather, including the traffic situation and the faulty traffic signals, if present.
- Go to the local police and make an accident report. One of the most important records you need to secure is the accident report of the local police. You will have to submit this whenever you are claiming for personal injury.
- Look for an eyewitness. Witnesses are crucial in personal injury claims with an insurance company because they can provide details that could help determine which party was at fault. Do not forget to put in writing all statements of witnesses.
- Gather pieces of evidence that may determine which party was at fault. You have to preserve pieces of evidence that may become crucial in determining which party was at fault. It may include the damaged motor vehicle or the damaged attire. These pieces of evidence are more effective than a testimonial one.
- Get an idea of how much you can claim as damages. To do this, you first have to compute the actual expenses. Multiply this amount to three and the product will be the “pain and suffering” amount. If you have been involved in the vehicular accident, include as well any amount you have spent for its repair. Same thing has to be done if the accident involves a property, add the amount you spent for its repair.
- Know when to file a personal injury claim. You should only file personal injury lawsuit in instances where you incurred damages or injuries, spent for medical reasons or you lost work or income because of the injuries sustained.
- Do not forget to notify all parties of your intention to file personal injury claim. Your intention of filing a personal law injury suit should be made known both to the insurance company and to the one responsible for your injuries, at least few days before the actual filing. This is to give them a chance to settle matters with you in order to avoid civil trial. Work under the premise that as much as possible, parties involved want to avoid the painstaking court process. This is especially true if it is clear who is responsible for your personal injury. Be sure that the notification comes in the form of letter.
- In case that no settlement is arrived at, seek legal assistance and prepare for a full-blown civil trial. Be prepared to the possibility that the other party may not be open to the out-of-the-court settlement. In such a case, you are forced for a full-blown personal injury trial. Get a legal counsel to assist you in your money claims. If you are having financial difficulties, do not worry because there are free legal assistance services available out there.
Personal injury claims may be painstaking and even stressful. You may even have to hire services of a lawyer to assure you get what you deserve. Just be diligent. All these will be compensated by the end of the day.