Locksmith businesses are one of the easiest and cheapest businesses to invest in. People always seem to be locking themselves out of their houses or losing their keys. Setting up this kind of business requires only a small capital. Investing in a locksmith business is a small yet profitable venture. Some locksmith businesses are office based while some are mobile. For more income, you can even operate your locksmith business 24/7.
Here are some tips that you can use to start a locksmith business:
- Learn about starting a small business. You can do this by contacting the Small Business Administration in your area. Find out about your state's regulations on locksmith businesses. You can even ask advice on where to get your funding. You can set up a locksmith business for as low as $5,000 to $10,000.
- Know everything about the locksmith trade. Some states will require you to finish a course before becoming a certified locksmith trader. Check your local technical college. There are even online and video classes. Some of the techniques you need to master are household lockouts, automobile lockouts, lock installation, recombination locks, master keying, vaults and security systems. Once you get your locksmith certificate, do not forget to apply for a business license. Ask your state about the requirements and the procedures.
- Decide on the kind of locksmith business you want to do. If you are starting a small locksmith business, you have the option to start business from home. Just keep in mind that your small business administration will still require you to keep a business phone line. The other option is to set up an office. You can just purchase or rent an office with small space since you do the bulk of your work on the field. You can also start a mobile locksmith business. The only difference with this kind of locksmith business from others is that you keep your office and tools inside the van.
- Purchase a good van. You will need a reliable van to carry all the tools and equipment everywhere you go should you decide to have a mobile locksmith business. A locksmith van has few seats. It has a lot of room to accommodate all your locksmith tools.
- Implement effective marketing strategies. Create a catchy name and logo for your business. Start your network by contacting security systems stores and local hardware. Do your marketing both online and offline. In some cases, locksmith businesses do not have to market aggressively. If you provide quality services, some clients will recommend you. This way, your network of clients will grow by sheer word-of-mouth.
Here are some tips that you can use to start a locksmith business. Keep in mind to earn and maintain your clients' trust. You can even give out discounts to those who avail your services consistently. Do the same to those who recommend you to other clients. Get feedback from your clients so that you will know what you need to improve.