A meal delivery service is easy to set up. It has low start up rates but it could also rake in great profit. Meal delivery services have the option to deliver restaurant meals, gourmet-chef prepared meals or even both. You can even make your own meals for delivery. Since some restaurants do not offer delivery services, you can also capitalize on this feature. Metropolitan and city areas are the best venues to start a meal delivery business.
Here are some tips on how to start a meal delivery business:
- Determine the type of your delivery business. Some meal delivery businesses order food and deliver it to clients. You can gain profit by adding a commission to every food item. Just keep in mind that it is best if you buy orders in bulks. This will save you a lot of money. If you opt to buy from gourmet chefs, contact the chef that you want to team up with. If you deliver his meals without making the proper arrangements, you might face a lawsuit. The gourmet chef can easily claim that you are making profit by using his name. Make sure that you transact properly with chefs, caterers and restaurant managers. Clarify the commission that you will get from each food item.
- Survey the popular foods in your area. Make sure that the meals you offer are in demand. According to the National Restaurant Association, Americans prefer fruits, hamburgers and wraps for their lunch meals. Package your meals wisely. If you are making your own lunches, make sure that the package includes at least a main item, a drink and a small snack. You can use the brown paper or recyclable packages. These packages can create an earth-friendly image for your business.
- Get the proper licenses. All states require health licenses from the makers of food. Some states require food transport companies to have health licenses too. Check the requirements of your health department. Browse through their website or visit their office. Also, do not forget to register your business. You can get your EIN (Employer Identification Number) from the IRS. This will serve as the identifying number of your business in all transactions.
- Advertise your business. You can do this online and offline. Create a website. Link it with other food websites. You can even launch an email campaign. Give out flyers to people you know. Put out posters in front of your house and other public places. Make sure that you leave menus, posters or flyers in businesses and neighborhoods.
- Hire staff. You can start your business with only one driver. If your business starts expanding though, you have to hire additional staff. You have the option to provide your drivers with vehicles. Just make sure that the staffs you hire are all licensed drivers. It is also best if they are insured.
Here are some tips on how to start a meal delivery business. Setting up a meal delivery business could be an exciting undertaking. Make an effort to know all your clients. Friendly and quality service will keep them coming back.