Starting your own small delivery service is a great idea, and can be very convenient for you because you can run it from the comforts of your own home. On the other hand, you may have the choice of franchising an already-established delivery system that fits your scale of budget. This is a good business since people will always need things to be delivered to them.
If you are going to start out this business as a sole proprietor, registration is not usually required. Beginning this kind of venture won't cost you a lot and does not call for a big investment. You likely have the tools and equipment in starting a small delivery service already. If you do want to pursue this, here are the steps on how to do so.
- Come up with a name for your delivery service. You should then also design a logo that suits the name of your business. After coming up with brilliant ideas of a name and logo and putting them together, have it printed on envelopes, your business cards, and on letterheads of the papers you will be using. Once you are done with this, you can now fix up the office in your home. Put in order your records and your files. Make sure they are always updated.
- Know your service area. In order to know the areas you will be delivering to, make a list with the use of the Yellow Pages and by browsing online to locate establishments and dwellings that is within your area. Create a database for this. It might take quite some time to do this accurately, but it will be all worth it when it's done. It will be a lot of help in the long run. Just be patient and to have things more convenient, have someone assist you in doing this. You can even use online tools like Google Maps (maps.google.com) to plot your routes.
- Design your own brochures and flyers that you can give away to promote your delivery services. Hiring a professional to do this for you is a good idea. However, simply learning how to use MS Word or even Adobe Photoshop can give you the advantage of designing this on your own. All it takes is a little creativity on words and images. Once you have already designed and have written its contents, have the flyers and brochures printed. Print at least a thousand to begin with.
- Come up with a letter of introduction of your delivery service and send them out to businesses. Have them be familiar with what exactly you do. At this point, you can make use of the mailing list or list of addresses you have made on the second step. Make use of the papers and envelops that has your company's name and logo printed on them.
- Create a website for your business as a form of advertisement. Give your contact information and everything prospective customers might want and need to know about what you do.
- Give out your flyers, brochures and business cards in business areas, such as, restaurants. Other business owners might be interested in your services.
When starting a small delivery service, all you need is to educate yourself with the business and advertisement tools, such as MS Word and Adobe Photoshop, in order for you to not have the need of hiring someone else to do it for you. It is good to have the contents of your advertisements personalized.