If you're planning to start a taxi service, there are many things to consider. The startup capital for this business is high even without considering the licenses and insurance you must acquire.
Finding a low cost vehicle is the most challenging part, because not everyone can afford a brand new car these days. But although it requires high capital and hard work, it can pay off very handsomely because taxis serve both private and public clients; you seldom have to worry about the passengers.
The location is also an important factor in determining how much profit you will make. This guide can provides information for starting a taxi service.
- Buy a low cost vehicle as much as possible. Before buying the vehicle, check the cost of all models available to you. Compare vehicles from different vendors and go online to find more sources of price quotes.
Try to get a discount by buying three to four vehicles instead of buying only one. The savings you get from buying in bulk can be significant.
Aside from getting your cars cheap, check if it is in proper condition for driving. Try to bring a friend or relative who knows about cars to help you assess the condition of your taxis.
- Find a location where you can operate your taxi business. If your area of operation uses taxis as transportation, operate there. You can go to the local city hall and they will give you the information you need on whether you can operate in the area and what other regulations and laws you need to know about.
- Install radios in every vehicle for communication. This will help the drivers know where to go if he can't find any passengers. It can also be used if your drivers face emergency situations. The radios can be facilitated by a phone dispatcher, who can accept calls from clients.
- Ask other taxi service companies for assistance. This will ensure you that you don't forget any process or license for your taxi service business. They may offer advice on where to buy cars or proper maintenance. While you're the competition, taxi operators will usually be helpful to each other, especially in cities where taxis are in demand.
- Hire drivers for your taxi. A driver must be honest, can work 24 hours straight and physically fit. They must have a driver's license, which is the most basic requirement of all. As soon as you have your drivers and have completed the required papers for the business, start your taxi service right away.