A virtual assistant is a person who gives assistance to clients with their businesses. Virtual assistants work in the comfort of their homes. The communication between the client and the virtual assistant is mainly done through phone calls and fax. It can also be done through the Internet via e-mail and chat.
A virtual assistant works for another company, or independently, rather than the client himself. Becoming a virtual technician requires five or more years of experience in different fields. Some of the jobs that can help you become a virtual assistant are an executive assistant, an office supervisor, a medical assistant or a secretary.
Although it is an advantage to have experience in these jobs, it is sometimes set aside by the client. Aside from your career background, there are other qualities needed in becoming a virtual assistant. Being confident and trustworthy is one of the key characteristics of being a virtual assistant. A virtual assistant should have excellent communication skills. He should have patience and perseverance while doing the job. The knowledge about the industry he will be working in is also an advantage.
There are two ways to become a virtual assistant. First is direct or personal application in which you apply directly to the client’s office. And the other one is indirect wherein you will apply to an employer or agency that will then look for a client that suites you.
Virtual assistants have been really useful in different fields of business. Because of this, it is a good idea to start a virtual assistant services business. Starting a virtual assistant service business is easy. Here is the step-by-step process and tips on starting a virtual assistant service business:
- Ensure that you have all the resources needed. Computers, fax machines and landline phones are necessary.
- Choose the right name for your business. A good name will attract better clients thereby increasing the success of your business.
- Get a permit to operate your business for legal purposes. It can be done by going to your city council or official.
- Get a software program that will allow you to keep track of all your expenses and income. This will give you an idea on much money you are getting and how you are spending it.
- Compare the different prices for this kind of business in your area. Never lower your charging price to get more clients, it will be much better to match your prices with them and make sure that you’re giving a better service than your competitors.
- Look for clients. Set a personal meeting with them so that you could discuss the benefits and the advantages that they can get if they consider your service. You could also discuss the pricing and other essentials that are included in the contract.
- Hire and train qualified people to become a virtual assistant. Conduct seminars with them to improve their communication skills and their knowledge on how to become a better virtual assistant. Also, give them a brief background about the clients for them to know what exactly it is that they need to do.
- Advertise your business. Create brochures, flyers and tarpaulins that will promote your business.
Once everything has been established, all you need to do is to ensure a good quality of service to gain more clients and improve your business.