More entrepreneurs have recently ventured into small businesses and this has made competition among their products tough. As more businesses compete with each other, advertising becomes an important factor in a product's saleability, and here lies another opportunity for entrepreneurs.
There are different types of advertising to choose from: print media (billboards, flyers), television commercials, or radio plugs. Among these types of advertising, print media is easier to manage for business starters. One can start with flyers, or with a simple, folded newsletter type publication that will accommodate a large number of small advertisements. More information about starting a print media advertising business can be read below.
- Decide on the publication's size, name, and focus. Choose a name that will make it unique and professional. The name will also help potential advertisers to remember and recall the publication. Determine the publication's number of pages. A two-page flyer or a four-page newsletter type is a good starter as the small number of pages is easy to fill up with advertisements. Identify the location where the publication will be distributed and include it in the publication's name. Doing this will give the publication its needed focus and will determine the number of copies to be printed. Advertisers will be happier if more copies of the publication are printed and distributed, because they will reach more people and their products will have greater exposure.
- Plan the publication's distribution. Copies can be distributed in many locations and in several ways. Busy places with more people like street corners, train and bus stations, malls, and parks are excellent distribution areas. Part-time help can be employed to hand out the flyers. Arrangements can also be done with other business establishments like restaurants and convenience stores for them to display the publication in their area. These establishments can be advertisers on the publication, or potential clients. Checking on these distribution sites periodically will also help gauge a better distribution mode. Where are copies most read? Who reads the flyers? Which part do they read the most?
- Determine the publication's advertising rates. Get a total of all costs involved in the production. These will include printing costs and the artist's fee for formatting the publication and the actual printing cost. Distribution costs will include fuel expenses, and the amount to be paid to people hired on part-time basis to personally hand out the flyers. The sum of these costs will be the total operating cost and will determine the amount of an advertisement page in the publication. Advertisers like incentives, so incentives such as discounts for more space in the publication will attract subscription.
- Get advertisers on the publication. Make a list of potentials advertisers according to their business types. The best source of this list is the community newspaper. List down all available details about potential advertisers, their products, and clientele. Remember that their clients are also potential advertisers. Once the list is complete, contact these people and tell them about the publication.
- Collect as many advertisements as possible. The number of pages in the publication can be easily adjusted to suit the number of advertisements.
- Prepare for printing and distribution. Once the publication has enough advertisements, it's time to print. An artist can be hired on a part-time basis to lend the publication a more professional look. Advertisers can write their own ads, or provide photos of their products to put on the publication. When the publication has been printed, advertisers should be given their own copies for their record. They should also know how the publication will be distributed.
As more people read the publication, it is ensured that more potential advertisers will read it. As more issues are printed, more advertisers will gain confidence in the publication. There will always be room for improvements in the publication, and it is always an excellent idea to involve advertisers in the process and to take some online courses in business marketing or promotion to ensure that you're staying ahead of the curve in this competitive field.