To get a message across, some people usually say it with flowers. Flowers are very effective in telling people how you feel. Their vibrant colors and pretty arrangements put a smile on the face of the receiver. Flowers are given even when there's no occasion. This is the reason why owning a flower shop means good business.
Here are some things that you should know when starting your own flower shop business:
- Acquire the necessary knowledge about floriculture. A soldier does not go to war without a weapon. Your knowledge in the flower shop or floral service business is your best weapon. It is not enough to just like flowers and know how to arrange them. There is an actual science of making flowers look good. Not only that, you will also need to know specific facts about taking care of the soil, nourishment of your flowers, and light and temperature control. You should have at least three years of experience as a florist before starting your own flower shop.
- Acquire the necessary business knowledge. You need to know the ins and outs of managing the business. It is not as simple as understanding supply and demand. It also involves cost management, record keeping, profit planning, and effective marketing strategies. If you are fully illiterate on these financial aspects, you may need to take a crash course on entrepreneurship first.
- Decide on your start-up capital. The amount will entirely be up to you. Although some florists say that it only took them six months time for a return of investment, it will still be wise to start small at first and let your profits expand the business later on.
- Find the best store location. Your location should be one that has the most foot and motor traffic. Aside from space rental cost, you must also think about the proximity to customers, the quality of the neighborhood, available space for expansion, and parking space for customers.
- Find suppliers of the materials that you will need for the business. By this time, you should be able to find reputable wholesale florists and floral accessories suppliers. You should be able to find a refrigeration system installer for your shop.
- Find a good staff to help you run your flower shop. For a small shop, you can just hire one extra hand to help you in the shop but employ more staff members as your business grows.
- Apply for the necessary business permits and pay the required business taxes. Before opening the shop, you should be able to process all the necessary financial documents and business permits as mandated by your state's laws.
- Aim for repeat customers. The success of your flower shop depends hugely on your customer base. Have a good relationship with your customers and they will help spread the news about your business to others.
Owning a flower shop business may look attractive because it seems that the florist is always surrounded by beautiful flowers. However, the fact still remains that it will not always be a bed of roses because it is a business. As with any other business, hard work and dedication is needed to make your flower shop business successful.