You can use the expertise you already have to build an Internet presence. If you run or are involved in what we call a traditional off-line business, such as a woodworker, makeup artist or plumber, you can and should be using the Internet to generate income. These types of businesses mentioned are among the types of businesses with which I consult; when I get to the Internet marketing section of the consultation, I normally meet with a level of disbelief and resistance as we move to embrace the new technologies. I'll cover some of the basics in this article, but just like you'd enroll in a class to learn the ins and outs of business accounting it's a good idea to do the same to learn how to properly use the Internet to market your business.
Here are some simple steps to follow to begin making money on the Internet using your business expertise.
- Get a hosting account: You will need your own hosting account; this is where your websites 'live.' A hosting acount is your own address on the Internet and this is where you should have your blog as opposed to having a blog on some of the free resources. If you are serious about establishing your Internet presence, you should pay the extra $2 to $3 a month to get yourself a dedicated IP address. Simply put, this will mean that you have your own address and postbox on the Internet, as opposed to sharing IP addresses with other users. Expect to pay no more than $20 per month for a quality hosting account where you share the server but have your own IP address. Make sure your account has Cpanel.
- Buy a domain name: These cost around $10 for year and you should buy domain names for your business and any other ideas you have. It's also a great idea to buy your name and use this to host your blog. After you buy your domain name, you will need to make sure that the domain actually 'points' to the hosting service which you purchased in #1.
- Set up a blog: Use Cpanel to install your blog. Within Cpanel, there is something called 'Fantastico.' Use this to install your blog with a few clicks of the mouse.
- Install a new theme: Within the control panel of your blog, go to "presentation," scroll to the bottom of the page and go to the 'Wordpress Theme Directory.' Search around there for a template which you like the look of. Here it is important to find an Adsense Ready theme. With this type of theme, you can plug in your Google Adsense code and earn money when readers visit your blog and click on one of the ads!
- Register your blog: You will need to make sure that the blog search engines know that your blog exists. To do this, go to Ping-o-matic and simply enter the details of your blog there.
- Start blogging: I suggest that at the outset, you post to your blog every day. Do this for at least two weeks to get your Internet presence up and running.
You simply need to blog about your work, your passion and your business -- to get traffic to your blog, provide good content and readers will find you via the search engines. I have made business contacts the world over through my blog -- that's one way of earning money, as mentioned above. if you provide quality information readers will come, and a percentage of them will click on the relevant ads and then you will start to receive money from Google.
Follow the steps above and for less than $20 per month, you can promote your business to the world and earn money on automatic pilot, even while you sleep. You can learn many other Internet marketing tips by taking online business marketing classes.