Whether you are looking for a way to work from home or just want to make some extra money on the side, freelance writing is a great creative outlet that can also be profitable. Getting started is always the hard part, but by following these helpful tips, you will be a published author in no time!
- Beef up your writing clips or portfolio. It is hard to be offered freelance writing positions if you do not have a diverse collection of writing clips to send along with your resume. You may have to start out writing some articles for little to no money just to get your portfolio in shape. Try writing letters to the editor of your local newspaper or your favorite magazine. If your letter is published, it will make a great clip for you.
- Visit some freelance writing jobs websites. The great thing about the Internet is all of its wonderful resources that are available at the click of a mouse. Free websites like FreelanceWriting.com or Writerlance.com advertise hundreds of open freelance positions ready to be filled. You can create a profile as well and advertise your expertise and services to attract companies offering positions.
- Create an online writing portfolio. Once you start building up your clips, you can create an online portfolio for free at FreelancePortfolios.com or you can create a writing blog or website for this purpose. This will help you to get freelance jobs by showing off your best work to potential employers. In addition to a great resume, this online portfolio will really grab the attention of publishers.
- Talk to your writing friends. Sometimes the best tips come from other people you meet while writing articles. Most freelance writers are happy to share their leads with you if you just ask for them. After all, they know how hard it is to find freelance jobs on your own, too.
- Send a query to a publisher. If you have a great idea for an article for a specific magazine or newspaper, write a query letter to the publisher and propose your idea. Be sure to check into the submission rules on the website or in the publication before sending it in to make sure you meet all of the qualifications.
- Join the HowToDoThings.com family! It is possible that you, too, can write "How To" articles for the HowToDoThings.com website. Click on the "Contribute" link at the top of the page for more information.