The Federal Bureau of Investigations, headquartered in Washington, D.C., is an intelligence agency that is responsible for investigating crimes of a federal nature within the United States, as well as protecting the country from local and international attacks on federal security. While the application process for a federal job is quite lengthy and strict, there are jobs available, if you know where and how to look.
The easiest place to begin is with the FBI website, www.fbi.gov.
- Once on the homepage, the bar on the left side of the page lists Apply for a Job at the very bottom.
- Once that link has been clicked, you've now been directed to the FBI Careers site, www.fbijobs.gov, where you can apply for open positions within a number of departments ranging from Hostage Rescue Team, Linguist and Special Agent all the way down to jobs such as FBI Police or IT.
- To find job openings, click on the Learn More tab under the career heading of your choice. Such as, if you're interested in a Special Agent position, click the Learn More tab underneath to be directed to a list of positions within that department.
- At the bottom, there will be a highlighted link to check current job postings, which will direct you to an outside website featuring all current FBI openings, www.usajobs.gov.
- To see specific details of a particular position, click on the highlighted job title to see salary, work experience and requirements, and an overview of the position.
- When you're ready to apply, click on the How to Apply tab at the top of the listing on the right, and follow the directions to submit your information in the appropriate manner requested.
Another way to find FBI job openings is through your local field office. The FBI currently has 56 major field offices and over 400 smaller satellite offices scattered throughout the country. If you're unsure where your local office is located, the phone book is a good place to start. In the government pages at the front, there should be an FBI information number, possibly with an address. You can also use the Contact Us function on the FBI website to find an office. Calling the local field office or stopping by to speak with an agent will help you become better informed of FBI job openings in your area, or throughout the country, as well as give you the opportunity to ask questions that will be answered first-hand by a professional.