So you're interested in working for Walmart but don't know where to start. How do you apply for a position? It's no problem. If you are pursuing a career with Walmart -- one of the largest employers in the United States -- you'll need to know how to properly fill out the employment application form. You can get one through its website at Walmart.com. The company has streamlined its application process by making it accessible through the website only. If you're in a store, an employee will direct you to the Internet kiosk that allows you to log on and view the online application.
It is easy to fill out the Wal-Mart online application, and you can apply for many positions from the comfort of your own home. If you do not have Internet access at home, then you can visit your local library and use their computers.
Before you begin:
You may want to start by viewing Wal-Mart's Careers Page on the company's website. On this page you will be able to find the application form and can also see all pertinent information about any open positions. It may be a good idea to invest some effort in reading what is required of job applicants in order to ensure you have everything needed. The company also posts several disclaimers for potential employees, so it is a good idea to browse through these to find exactly what they are looking for.
The application process:
After you have finished looking over the job openings and reviewing the application form, you're ready to go. You may then proceed to complete the application for the position you are seeking:
- Click on the “Apply Now” button at the bottom of the page. You will also need to click on “I Agree” at the bottom of the screen on the next three pages. These disclaimers say that you understand that the website can be accessed by the handicapped, that you consent to give them your information, that you are not on drugs, and that you will submit to drug screening.
- Create a user name and password. To do so click on “register” on the right hand side of the page. You should save the user name, password, and answers to the security questions you create.
- Log in and enter your Social Security number, create a pin, and enter your gender as prompted. You will then certify that you can legally work in the United States.
- Pick the place you want to work. You can apply for Walmart department stores, Sam’s Club Stores, or Walmart logistics. Choose the circle next to the first option for Wal-Mart stores. Choose the store that you would like to work at and continue with the process. Make sure to choose “Hourly” when prompted for employee type.
- You will need to fill in all the pertinent information that may be required. Don't forget to indicate the position that interests you most.
- You will also need to fill in your personal information, including your name, phone number, job availability and personal references. Generally, Walmart requires at least two references.
- Input details on your education and past job experiences. Make certain you are entering the information completely. It is important that all spelling is correct and that everything on your completed form makes sense.
- Review it one last time prior to submitting. It is especially important to check the form for any mistakes in spelling, job history dates, and all other information. You should make sure that you have also provided truthful and complete answers to all questions asked.
- Make sure not to rush. They ask for a lot of information, and the information may vary for different jobs, but it's well worth it to take all the time that you need to complete the form accurately and honestly. If you're honest on your application form, then you generally do not have to worry about anything coming back to bite you later.
Prepare for the interview:
If you are selected as a candidate for a position, a representative will call you to set up a time to interview. Follow the steps below to prepare:
- Relax. Do not let the stress get to you. Being relaxed will allow you to ace the interview.
- Listen and respond to what the interviewer says. Do not tell them stories or give miscellaneous information that has nothing to do with the question asked. This will confuse the interviewer.
- Tell them the same things you entered on the application. Any variation may bring up a red flag and cost you the job.
- Smile. Walmart places emphasis on customer service. A smile and a friendly handshake may be your best asset!
While it seems complicated, this is a quick and easy process. If hiring, a store will contact you within a few days of submitting the application. Make sure to provide accurate personal details so that you can be contacted quickly. You don't want to miss that call. Good luck!