Window treatment basically means covering your windows to have more privacy and to get shade when the sun is too high and hot. Nowadays, designing window arrangements has become popular, adding a twist that is pleasant to the naked eye. Due to high demand, the window treatment designer was born. A job like this is fun but it requires a creative skill and a think-out-of-the-box kind of attitude. Once you have seen your finished product, all your efforts will be worth it. It can definitely give you a satisfying feeling that can warm your heart. Here's a step by step guide on how to become an amazing window treatment designer.
- Know your niche. Having a skill is one thing, applying your own perspective to it can be a bit of a challenge. You have to learn to do your own thing. Free yourself from the binding procedures that you follow from books and experiment on different strategies on colors and designs. Determine how far you can go and practice around it. This is a trial and error stage, so don't be afraid to have mistakes. Just keep on practicing until you get the hang of it.
- Create a mental picture and draw it in paper. Begin with small projects first. Browse on line or window shop at a mall for curtains, shutters and other equipment that you need to make your drawing a reality. Start making it at your own home. Compare all your finished designs from each other and make a note on the things you need to improve so you can correct and develop it to your next project.
- Create a portfolio of your own work. Take a picture of all your designs and bind it together, resembling a book. This will be the one that you'll be showing to prospective clients. This is an efficient tool to show what you can do. It is important that your portfolio looks professional and should be beautifully made.
- Introduce yourself to the public by organizing your own party that showcases your work. Invite your families and friends.
- Market yourself by offering your service to your guests. Let them know that you are willing to do big projects.
- Get referrals from all your existing clients. Be consistent in what you do and always develop your skills by learning new things at all times and being up to date with the latest trends and designs. Always stick to what your client wants. If you want to add something, make sure you suggest it to the client. Be very strict on the deadline that is given to you. Always take a picture of your finished product so you can add it to your portfolio. It would help to ask your clients to write you a feedback. You will surely learn a lot from it and be surprised how well you do your work.
It is not only the design that you need to focus on. You also need to learn how to budget. It would be very helpful to know where to get the cheapest price of your much needed tools and equipment. Learn to be resourceful. Start bringing out the creative side of your psyche and let it rule your world.