Having a good voice does not necessarily mean that you can be a recording artist right away. To be a recording artist, you must be dedicated and hard working so that you can reach your goal. Another thing to consider is that there are a lot of musicians out there like you who want to be recording artists. This increases your competition. For you to get noticed, you must have what it takes to set you apart from other singers.
One way for you to break into the music scene is to be an independent recording artist. Independent recording artists are those who do not release their records with major recording companies. By doing this, you will be able to break into the music scene without having to compete with musicians who are already big in the music industry.
Here are some tips to help you become an independent recording artist:
- Compose your own songs. Most independent recording artists get known for writing their own material and composing music to go with it. You can start writing poems or lyrics and later on add the melody to come up with a song. Write about four to five songs for starters. These songs are the ones you are going to use for your demo.
- Practice your songs. After coming up with a few songs, the next thing you have to do is to practice them until you perfect your songs. If you are already used to playing your songs, it will be easier and faster for you to record them in a studio. This can save you some money as most recording studios charge by the hour.
- Record your music. Look for a local recording studio that you can rent for a few hours so that you can record your songs. If you do not know where to go, you will usually find the information you need in the directory. Another thing you can do is to search for a recording studio in your location that will not cost you too much. Rent the studio for a few hours so that you can record your songs.
- Market yourself. Use your demo to market yourself. Make several copies of your CD and book a gig at a local club or café, depending on your music and your target market. If your music is more of laid back and acoustic, you can play at cafes and if your genre is rock, you can play in clubs or bars. When you have your first gig, you can give out your CD for free. If you have already established yourself in your neighborhood, that is the time when you can start charging for your CD.
- Check resources. For you to learn more on how you can become more successful, check out different resources. One good resource for people who want to be independent recording artists is ‘The Indie Bible’. This is a book that will help you learn who to approach and what to do for you to become an independent recording artist. The book has over 330 pages that will help you figure out how to move forward in your music career. You can buy this for only $34.95.
These are the things that you can do to become an independent recording artist. Remember that you will only succeed if you have the passion for what you do. If music is your passion, following these tips will help you get where you want to be!