If you own a bookstore and you see people carrying books and asking you if you have a few minutes to spare, these are probably book sales reps. They are usually the middle man for book publishers and book retailers.
If you think that you have the potential to become a book sales rep, ask yourself if you have what it takes to become one.
Here are the steps on how to become a book sales rep:
- Know the job description of a book sales rep. Make sure that you know what will happen if you become a book sales rep. It is important that you have an idea of what the qualifications are. One of the usual requirements is that you have a Bachelor’s Degree. It will be an advantage if you are highly educated.
- Seek assistance from book publishers. Book publishers may actually tell you what they need in a book sales rep. Get in touch with several book publishers and hear what they have to say. Ask for their assistance. If you agree on what they have to say, send your resume for application.
- Check the Internet for book sales rep. opening. Aside from getting in touch with book publishers, you may also search the Internet for book sales rep. openings. Visit the sites that offer job openings. See if there is a vacancy. If there is, submit your resume online. You may also get the address of the company with the job opening and personally apply for the position.
- Traveling is a must. Most book sales representatives need to travel to different areas. This may be a perk of the job, or it may be a disadvantage. However you may want to take a look at it, traveling is still part of a book sales rep.’s life. So if you are considering this as your career, forget about staying in one place. Prepare yourself for frequent traveling.
- Learn to work for extensive hours. Most book sales rep. need to work long hours to be prepared for a client presentation. You need to take the time to make sure that your presentation is interesting enough to capture your client’s interest.
- Be creative. As a book sales rep., you need to work on your creativity skills. This is important so that you may catch the attention of your prospective client. You must always try to think of new ways on how to sell your books to clients.
- Answer the clients’ questions. Most clients have a lot of questions when they are offered books. They ask about the story of the book, the author, how well the book is selling and many other book-related questions. You need to be able to address all of their inquiries. It may also be better if you equip yourself with a laptop computer. This is for you to have easy access on the Internet for questions that you don’t really know how to answer.
Book sales reps have a lot of things going for them. They get to learn new things with the books they are selling, they meet new people and they get to travel to many different places. If you want to enjoy these benefits, then be a book sales rep now.