Cantor is the Latin term that is used to describe a singer. For the Jewish, the cantor is recognizes as a spiritual leader. Cantors are able to conduct prayer services. This position in the Jewish community is highly praised because cantors are also responsible for leading the community in song.
Here are the steps that you have to go through to become a cantor:
- Requirements. It is required that you are part of the Jewish community for you to become a cantor. Aside from this, you must also have knowledge in different Jewish studies, Jewish celebrations and services and other sessions that the Jewish community goes through. These are all essential for you to become a cantor in your community.
- Take music lessons. Since the cantor is regarded as the music leader in the Jewish community, it is imperative that you go through rigorous voice lessons. Aside from this, learn how to play the piano. These are not the only things that you need. You also have to learn about music theories. You may spend a couple of years just learning how to sing, play the piano and understand the basic concepts of music.
- Look for a mentor. When you are ready for your cantorial training, you have to find a mentor who is willing to work with you. You do not necessarily have to know this mentor. You can go to your local synagogue, introduce yourself and tell them that you want to be a cantor. For sure, there will be a cantor willing to help your go through this journey and teach you their ways.
- Learn from your mentor. Try to learn as much as you can from your mentor. Learn how to conduct yourself and also learn what the duties of a cantor are. By doing this, you will gain more experience and it will be easier for you to understand what being a cantor truly means.
- Enroll in school. Enroll in a school where you can be educated about being a cantor. Research some schools and attend all your classes. This will serve as preparation for you. In school, you may be taught some of the topics that you already know. Just take in all of the lessons and try to understand and grasp as much as you can. This will be essential in your life as a cantor.
- Get work. After you graduate from your school, it is time for you to seek a job where you will be able to use all the skills that you have learned throughout the years. You may have some contacts in school that you can approach to ask where the best place is for you to get a job.
These are the steps on how you can become a cantor. The road to the top may take long and may not be easy but in the end, it is all worth it when you see that you are able to serve the Jewish community by doing the things that are asked of you as a cantor.