If you love cars and you want to be around them all the time but at the same time want to make a living, you can get a job as a car appraiser. Car appraisers are the people who estimate the values of different types of cars. These can be brand new cars, antique or vintage cars or ordinary cars that are used everyday.
Car appraisers can work in different fields. They can work for car companies, lending companies, museums, organizations and many more. If you want to become a certified car appraiser, here are some of the things that you should do:
- Learn about cars. To start off, you must be interested in cars or else you will have a hard time in this business. If you love cars, the best way to become a good car appraiser is to know as much as you can about them. Read about vintage cars, new cars, models, brands, special features, etc. This is an important part of your job. You must be familiar with the cars that are presented to you so that you can give at least an estimate of the car’s value.
- Purchase resource materials. The next step is to purchase some materials that will help you in your job. You can get manuals or guides and books of auto appraisals. You can pick these up from specialty bookstores. Know what type of cars have the highest or lowest values or know the parts of the cars that contribute to their worth.
- Concentrate on a specialty. Of course, you cannot be expected to know every type of car. That is why you can choose a specialty that you want to concentrate on. You can choose to concentrate on a brand, a make or a model.
- Training courses. Enroll in training courses that are available in your area. You can check colleges, universities or specialty schools that have courses on auto appraisal. By enrolling in an auto appraisal course, you will be able to master the ins and outs of the business. This will also help in getting a job.
- Get a job. After your training course, you can get a job for auto companies or other outfits where auto appraisers are needed. You can work for an auto appraiser and learn all the techniques and tricks. You can get several years of work experience first before you go out on your own.
- Establish a name. When you are already confident enough to work on your own and establish a name, you can start your own auto appraisal business. If you have a good reputation, you will surely be able to get many clients.
These are some of the things that you have to go through in order for you to become an auto appraiser. You may need to check the requirements for your state. Some states require that you get a license to become a certified car appraiser. Check with your local government office regarding the policies.