Becoming a Certified Gemologist requires a lot of hard work and dedication. Certified Gemologist is a title which is only offered by the American Gem Society. Furthermore, only a very select few jewelers in the country ever manage to earn this title. Even so, if you truly desire to be a Certified Gemologist, then with enough determination, knowledge and the proper education, the goal is an obtainable one. To achieve this goal, you will need to follow these steps:
- Begin your quest with the proper education. Start your education with online studies and classes from known schools in the field such as the Gemological Institute of America or the International Gem Society.
- If you are attending the Gemologist Institute of America you will want to earn the Graduate Gemologist degree. If you are attending the International Gem Society, then the Professional Gemologist Certification Degree is what you want. Earning either one of these greatly increases your chances of gaining the Certified Gemologist title.
- Seek and obtain employment as a jeweler. It is important and necessary to have work experience in this field before you can become a Certified Gemologist.
- After you have completed some vital education and gained some work experience in the field, seek and obtain membership in the American Gem Society. Also, seek and obtain employment from an American Gem Society Firm member. Employment by one of these members is a requirement for obtaining the Certified Gemologist position.
- Next, you will need to complete an extensive course offered by the American Gem Society. This is a course that is available exclusively to American Gem Society members. It is a home study course compiled of six lessons that teach the principles used by the American Gem Society for grading diamonds. It also teaches the basics on the moral standards and science of the field as well as consumer protection.
- Once you complete all of these steps, you will then need to grade two diamonds which are provided by the American Gem Society. Successfully and accurately grading these diamonds will earn you the Certified Gemologist title.
Certified Gemologists are required to maintain a professional and upstanding reputation. They are also required to successfully take a test each year. There are courses offered for the purpose of preparing for this test.
Remember, the title of Certified Gemologist is the highest honor that can bestowed upon any jeweler. With such a title comes great respect but it also demands great responsibility.