A corporate solutions consultant is hired by a company to reproduce the best practices in an area of specialization. Usually, a consultant is not given the benefits the company shares with regular employees. On the other hand, the good thing is most of these jobs are flexi-time, meaning they are charged per output, not per day. So, what does it take to become a corporate solutions consultant? The following list can help you become a coporate solutions consultant.
- Core competencies. These are your skills. A consultant must be an expert in the field where the company needs investment solutions. Your in-depth and infinite skill is the first thing that the company will know about you. You cannot be consultant if you are not trained to yearn for knowledge.
- Leadership characteristics. You will be hired as a solutions expert. This means that you will be responsible in steering the company to a new and better direction. You must learn to be a good communicator, people manager, problem solver and analytic thinker. All your insights will be regarded as a standard.
- Experience. If several consultants with the same skill apply for the job, experience will be the next factor. Experience may be in relation to number of years or having provided service to a similar company. Corporate systems trainings and conferences can be part of your previous experience wherein you gained knowledge.
- Passion. Consultants are hired to provide answers to the challenges the company has. Therefore, you must expect problems coming your way each and every day. You must be passionate in what you do so that you see the problems are opportunities, and not threats. You must be flexible too. Whatever kind of corporate software each company has, you have to learn it.
- Get to know the right people or connections. Pay attention to the people around you during conferences and conventions that you attend. They can bring you to the job you are seeking once someone important recommends you. Be open to network and get to know other people, especially corporate agents.
- Time. If you want to be a full-time consultant, it can be done as long as you have time as your resource. You can even apply to two companies.
- Comprehensive resume or scope of services. Your resume must say it all as to why you are deserving of the position. Indicate all your educational and professional background. Compile all the list of companies you’ve worked for and indicate in the resume what capital solutions you have provided for each and every challenge given to you.
- Join management groups and share information. Be a part of an association—local and international, which is related to your expertise. Join their forums and share bit by bit your knowledge until you get their attention so that you can offer more. These associations usually have newsletters and online blogs. You can also apply for a position in your association. It can add to your image as a consultant. If you become the President of your association, it will be easy to be a consultant.
- Market yourself. You can create your own website and offer your services. Publish yourself for free.
The factors mentioned above are surefire ways to land you a consulting job. Once you are on board, please dress appropriately and enjoy.