After graduating, most people can’t wait to start working and earning. At first, you may feel that you are on the right track and that you are doing what you always wanted to do. For some people, this changes after a few months or years. If you are one of those people who are not so sure about their chosen career, it is not yet too late. You still have time to change your career and start doing what you really want.
Here are some tips that you can use if you want to change careers in your twenties:
- Assess yourself. The first thing that you have to do when you are in a situation like this is to assess yourself. What is it that you do not like about the career that you are currently in? How do you know that the career you are in is the not the one for you? It will be helpful if you write that pros and cons of your situation now so that you can really decide on what it is that you want.
- Plan your new career. If you have really decided that you want to change your career path, it is time to decide on your plan of action. Ask yourself what it is that you really want to do. You can start by listing down some of the things that you enjoy doing. Write down some of the possible careers that you want to try out.
- Visit a career counselor. Go to your local career center and ask advice from a career counselor. Career centers are not only for fresh graduates or undergrads. Some people in their forties or fifties also visit career centers if they want to change their careers. Know that they have some services that will help you in making your career decisions. You may even take some career tests to see where your strength and likes lead you.
- Further studies. In some cases, changing your career may mean that you have to take some diploma courses or attend some classes so that you can be prepared for your new career. This may take a few weeks, months or even a couple of years of studying.
- Set goals for yourself. Write down a list of the goals that you want to achieve with your new career. Other things that you can write include what type of environment you want to work in, how much work are you willing to do per week, how much money you want to make, etc.
These are the tips that you can use if you want to change your career in your twenties. After thinking and assessing the things that you want in your career, you can start looking for a job that will give you the things that you need and will make you fulfilled in what you do. Remember that changing your interests and career path is normal. You just have to find a career where you will be happy in what you do.