In case you're wondering what caution tape is, cast your mind back to any crime or disaster scenes you may have seen on TV. Recall the yellow or red-and-white tapes placed around the perimeter of the scene, to keep all unauthorized personnel away, including interested onlookers. That color tape is known as caution tape! Next, you may be wondering why you would have any use for caution tape. Well, caution tape is used not only by law enforcement or disaster management officials; it can also be used in everyday instances at work or for other situations as well. This article provides information on how caution tape can be used and how to choose the caution tape that satisfies your requirements.
Here are some instances where caution tape comes in handy:
- Isolating crime scenes from contamination.
- Blocking access to high-risk or hazardous areas such as sites where explosives are placed, or high-rise construction is being carried out.
- Power plants where transformers, live wires or other machinery are installed in open areas and there is a risk of electrocution.
- Crowd control at large public events such as rallies or concerts and also to demarcate access at different levels. For example, if it is a paid event and tickets of different denominations are used, caution tape will be used in combination with other types of barricades to keep the crowd separated in enclosures marked as per ticket values. Caution tape can also be used at entry and exit points to facilitate an orderly movement of people.
- Sites where underground public works are being carried out, especially on heavy-traffic roads or areas where the public can usually move freely. For example, repairing or laying out new telephone lines or drainage pipes, etc.
- High-risk sites such as mines where drilling and blasting activity is carried out frequently.
Tips for choosing caution tape:
- Identify the reasons and requirements for using caution tape beforehand.
- Choose the tape dimensions and colors required to get the best usage from the caution tape. For example, bright colors such as yellow, orange, red, black or white are usually used singly or in combination with other colors.
- Ensure that the message you want on the tape is clearly printed for maximum visibility. Also, it is important that the message is short, crisp and conveys the reason for caution or danger effectively.
- Choose caution tape which can be used in any type of weather, in any location and under any conditions.
- The colors must be easily visible, fast and made of non-toxic materials. Additionally, caution tape must be made of highly biodegradable materials, especially those being used in populous areas.
Just follow the information provided above and you should have no trouble in choosing the best caution tape for your requirements.