How To Contact the IRS

Consulting pension funds

The IRS (Internal Revenue Service) handles all your tax concerns. They typically get a lot of activity during April, when income tax returns are filed. It is also one of the most misunderstood and disliked government agencies.

There are several reasons why you might be inclined to contact the IRS. The main reason is if you have complaints. The agency may have misplaced your tax returns, decided to audit you or fine you for back taxes. In this case, you may have questions about the cause and might like to make sure that you will not be fined for this at a later time.

There may be a number of innocuous reasons why you want to contact the IRS. You may be asking about a possible extension on sending your tax returns, or you may want to ask about tax policies. In any case, there are multiple ways of reaching them.

Local IRS Office. There are local offices available in every state, as well as some on foreign soil. You will need to look up their addresses or phone numbers online, in a phone book, or through directory assistance in order to talk to a local employee.

Phone. If you wish to contact the IRS by phone, there are several phone lines to choose from depending on your locality and your concern.

  • A recorded service is available 24-hours to provide information on common IRS questions. The number is 1-800-829-4477.
  • Live assistance is available Monday to Friday. The first three numbers below are open from 7 am to 10 pm, based on your local time. The last is open from 7 am to 5:30 pm Central Time.
  • For businesses, the direct line is 1-800-829-4933.
  • For individuals, call 1-800-829-1040.
  • For the hearing impaired, the number is 1-800-829-4059.
  • For government entities, exempted organizations, and retirement plan administrators, the number is 1-877-829-5500.
  • You can also call direct lines dedicated to specific queries.
  • To get forms, literature and instructions, call 1-800-829-3676.
  • To report identity theft that has not impacted your income tax returns, call 1-800-908-4490. This line is available from 8 am to 8 pm local time.

Mail. To send a mailed inquiry, it is best to contact your local IRS office. The standard turnaround time for a reply to your message is about 30 days.

Submission of forms differ according to the type of form and the place of residence. Professionals doing taxes for their clients need to use different addresses than individuals looking to send their own tax forms. There are also separate addresses for exempted government entities. Payments and applications should also be sent to different addresses.

You can call via recorded assistance or through live assistance that can provide information on where to send your specific form. Your local office will be helpful as well. There are also complete lists of addresses found at the IRS website.

Website. The IRS website contains all of the basic contact information. This is located at There are also forms and FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) on the site to help you.

Fax. IRS forms can be sent to you via fax. The agency has an automated Tax Fax service that allows you to download forms directly. Simply call the service at 703-368-9694 and follow the instructions from the recorded messages.

For specific reasons:

  • Refund Status. You may have been notified that the IRS has granted you a tax refund. The Where's My Refund service on the website allows you to track status of your payments.
  • Taxpayer Advocacy Service. This service is to help taxpayers that have unresolved issues with the IRS. You can contact them at 1-877-777-4778 or 1-800-829-4059. You should also check out local offices nearby.
  • Voluntary Disclosure. In case you have been withholding information from the IRS, the agency offers this program to allow you to come forward and submit yourself to certain procedures. They will audit your unfiled taxes in order to recalculate the necessary taxes without prosecuting you for fraud. There are specific numbers for this program available in your state or country of origin.
  • Suspicious E-mails. You may receive an e-mail pretending to be from the IRS. This may be a scam to get your information for fraud or identity theft. You can check a specific page on the IRS website to see if the communication you received is authentic.
  • Suspected Fraud. If you want to contact the IRS to report fraud, you will need to fill out and print Form 3949-A. This needs to be sent to the address "Internal Revenue Service Fresno, CA 93888".
    You may also write a letter instead of filling out the form. In the letter, include the personal information of the suspect, a brief summary of the activity as well as the duration and amount involved in the fraud. Make sure to include your own contact information for further questions.


Share this article!

Follow us!

Find more helpful articles: