Hair extensions add versatility and creativity to your normal hair wardrobe. With proper use of extensions you can keep a shorter, manageable style for every day then add the extensions to glam up for a special occasion. The key to making hair extensions work is to do them properly. Follow these instructions to learn how. You'll need adhesive, liquid release and hair clips.
- Select hair extensions. There are a few things to keep in mind when selecting the right hair extensions for you. First, don’t go cheap. Buy the best quality extensions you can afford and try for those made from natural hair instead of nylon or acrylic. Find the color that matches your own but also look at texture. One of the first giveaways that a person is using extensions is when their own hair is very fine but the extensions are thick. The difference in texture is noticeable.
- Wash your hair. Do not condition your hair. Instead wash and towel dry.
- Comb and part hair into small sections. Start at the bottom of your hair. Leave the bottom layer, no more than a quarter inch thick. Comb the section of hair straight and create an obvious seam of scalp.
- Cut the first set of extensions to fit the area of your scalp. Extensions come in fine layers in long strips that need to be cut into sections to fit. The smaller the sections you use, the more likely they are to look natural.
- Apply adhesive to the extensions then place them on your hair. Attach the extensions to your hair about 1/8” from the scalp. Do not attach directly to your scalp. Please note that there are different types of adhesive depending upon whether you want long term (months) or short term (days) out of your hair extensions.
- Drop a small layer of hair down over the extensions. Comb out a small layer then secure the rest of the hair up in the clip. Repeat step five to apply another layer of extensions.
- Repeat application throughout your hair. Prepare the extensions with layers for the sides to add depth to the style.
- Style as you desire.
Hair extensions can be a great way to change your look or to adjust your style while you’re waiting for your own hair to grow longer. If you follow these steps you’ll be able to do hair extensions that accentuate your look.
Remember to keep your extensions clean and in good repair between uses. Consult your stylist or the place where you purchase the extensions for the best product to suit your particular extensions.