The Society for the Blind is a non-profit organization that helps the blind and partially sighted. Established in 1954, the organization is based in Sacramento, California and has help thousands of blind, low vision and partially sighted individuals of all ages. It is the only kind of organization in the Sacramento area.
If you would like to support the Society, you may give donations. The money collected by the group goes towards supporting educational and job assistance programs for the visually impaired. The goal is to make these people self-sufficient. Vehicles are also accepted. Here’s how to go about making a vehicle donation.
- Determine the vehicle you want to donate. Used cars and trucks can be donated to the Society. Ideally, the car should be in running condition, but the society may still accept the vehicle to be resold at auction. Remove your personal belongings inside the vehicle, and be sure to check the glove box and trunk to make sure you leave nothing personal behind. Do a visual inspection of the vehicle, so you can note down any damage to the car, such as a broken taillight or any dents on the fender. You will also need to write down the mileage reading of the car.
- Prepare the documentation of the vehicle. You will need to have a pink slip of the car. Ideally, there should be no liens on the vehicle. If you no longer have a pink slip, you must be able to explain why. Have the registration of the vehicle prepared, if you have it.
- Go to donateacar.com. Vehicle donations are handled by the Donate A Car organization in behalf of the Society. This organization has been around since 1991 and has provided assistance by coordinating used vehicle donations for various charities in America. Donate A Car will be responsible for picking up the vehicle and making sure that your charity of choice will receive the donation.
- Complete the form. There’s an online form that you need to fill out. Don’t worry, it only asks for some basic information, including who is donating the car, the information regarding the vehicle, where it will be picked up, and contact information. You must indicate that you intend the vehicle to be given to the Society for the Blind, since the group handles donations for various other charities. Once you complete the form, click on the submit button. If you do not have access to a computer or have a hard time completing the form due to technical difficulties, you may also call 1-800-237-5714. A customer service representative will assist you and guide you through the donation process.
- Schedule the pick up. After you submit the form, you may now determine when is a good time for the organization to retrieve the car. The vehicle will be towed and removed from your premises at no cost to you. You’ll be given a receipt for your donation at the time of pick up. It’s that simple!
Learn more about the Society and its various noteworthy projects. Visit
the website at societyfortheblind.org to learn more information on
the charity’s different programs and how it directly helps the blind and
visually impaired in the community.