Orthodontists provide us with the oral care that we need. In some cases, clients are not satisfied with the level of service that their orthodontists provide. Others may file complaints regarding unethical conduct, health safety issues in the clinic and many others. If you are one of those people who want to file a complaint against your orthodontist, the steps are quite easy. All you have to do is follow the steps provided below.
Here are the steps that you have to follow if you want to file a complaint against your orthodontist:
- Review your case. Before taking initial steps in filing your complaint, the first thing that you have to do is to review if you really have a case. Check for signed contracts, messages, documents, photos or other items that will be useful for your case. Ask yourself why you are filing a complaint. If you see where your orthodontist may have gone wrong, you can proceed with the next steps.
- Get other orthodontist’s opinion. It is essential to get a second or third opinion regarding the matter that you are complaining about. Look for one or two local dentists that you can visit. State your case and ask them what they would do, how much they would charge, etc. After your consultation with the orthodontist, state your case with your previous orthodontist see if they can provide some suggestions that will make the case against your orthodontist stronger.
- Discuss with your orthodontist. Before you file a formal complaint, discuss the problem with your orthodontist. State your problems and explain why you are not happy with the service that you got. Present your concern in a calm manner. In some cases, clients and their orthodontists are able to agree on the next course to take. This can be continuing of treatment without charge, refund of money, etc. It is always better to negotiate with your orthodontist first.
- Go through a peer review session. A peer review session is conducted by the dental society in your state. They will be the ones who will review whether you have a case against your orthodontist. They will schedule a meeting with you and a separate meeting with your orthodontist to discuss.
- File your complaint. Research where you need to file your complaint as this varies from state to state. Go to their official website and look for the forms that you have to fill out and the next steps that you will have to take. File your complaint with them and wait for the outcome.
These are the steps that you have to follow if you want to file a complaint against your orthodontist. If you are not happy with the results, you can always hire a lawyer and sue your orthodontist. Before doing this, find a free attorney that you can consult with so that you will be able to determine if your case against your orthodontist is strong enough for you to win. Be aware that this process can take time and may cost a lot of money.