Professional sports hockey is one of the largest, most exciting, and most lucrative industries in the world. It deals with millions of dollars every year, with players receiving multi-million dollar contracts and fans shelling out their hard-earned money to attend games, watch live events, and even fuel the merchandising machine of the professional sports teams. This is one of the most glamorized industries, and practically every sports enthusiast has had the dream of one day becoming part of the National Hockey League.
It remains a sad truth, however, that being a player in the NHL is an experience that will be limited to only a very select few of the sports elite. However, this is not the only way that you can work for the NHL – there are literally thousands of other positions in the league that you can apply for. Any true and die hard fan of hockey would do anything for the opportunity to work as part of the NHL corporation, or directly for their favorite team. This way, you get to be part of the sport that you so dearly love. Here are some things that you might want to keep in mind when finding a job with the NHL.
- Before anything, you should know what kind of job you want. The NHL is a very large corporation that needs all kinds of people, from people working in public relations, marketing, human resources, finances, and practically everything under the sun. You should know what your job skills are and at least have an idea of what position you will directly apply for. It is not advisable for you to just submit your resume and let them figure out where to assign you: applications like these are usually ignored or discarded.
- The job that you envision should be aligned with your competencies. If you have a background in communications, than you can apply for their marketing or public relations department. If you are trained in systems analysis and information technology, you can go to their IT department. Update your CV and highlight the skills and work experiences that are most relevant towards your chosen career path.
- After you’ve prepared at home, it is time to start the job hunting. For jobs for local franchises, you can check the classified ads and job offers on your local newspapers. You can even go online and check your favorite team’s official website to see if there are any job openings for you. However, if you want to work directly for the NHL, go to their official website.
- On the website, you will find a link for “Jobs” that will redirect you to the employment page of the NHL. Search for current job openings to be directed to the listing of vacancies you can apply for.
- If you see a job that piques your interest, check the full job description. This way you will learn more about the pros and cons of the vacancy being offered. If you’ve decided on a certain position, then fill in your application and simply follow the process online.
You can also tap the resources of job listing websites when searching
for a career in the NHL. While you may not enjoy the same kind of
paychecks and glamorous lifestyle that these hockey superstars enjoy, at
least you are working for a sport that you truly are passionate about.