Whether you're aiming to be the leader in your team or company, or you are already a leader who aims to further strengthen your leadership skills, finding appropriate leadership training is the key. Through leadership courses, leadership seminars, leadership programs, leadership coaching etc., you could better enhance your potential to be an effective leader.
Depending on you, your team's or your company's needs, following are tips on how to find effective programs offering leadership training:
- Identify your strengths and weaknesses. Know why you need to undergo leadership training - is it because your leadership qualities were marked poorly in your annual evaluation? Or you're up for promotion and need additional training to be worthy of it? Attending leadership training is your own choice. If you want to stay competitive and be effective, leadership training is for you.
- Know where to excel. There are a lot of programs - from college/university degrees to company and team-building activities that offer leadership training. Knowing what aspects of your leadership potential would you like to enhance is the key to availing of effective leadership training.
- Tailor fit the leadership training for you. Companies engaged in providing leadership training, notably of leadership guru John Maxwell, provide leadership courses/modules that you or your team or company could avail of. You could have the courses/modules custom-fit for your requirements. As one example, perhaps you or your team need more training in crisis management. Doing such would make your leadership training a more engaging experience.
- Research your kind of training. Apart from Maxwell, other notable leadership training providers have Web sites where you could check for their programs/courses, the duration, testimonials from those who attended such leadership training, how much it costs for a one-day program/course, or for a discount for a group of 20 to 50, or for a longer run of such leadership training.
- Time your leadership training. Like any other team-building activities, undergo leadership training during the time when it is more relaxing for the officials and employees to attend such, and not when they may be worried they have left undone some end-of-year fiscal reports. Scheduling your leadership training well would ensure high attendance from target participants and more active participation from them as well.
- Relive your leadership training. The measure of how effective a leadership training you just attended is is in you ability to merge what you learned with your team or company's long-term goals. If you're a leader, encourage your employees to further pursue leadership training. If you're an employee or team member, try to apply such leadership lessons to your day-to-day work; see how you are improving and gauge if you're on your way to achieving your full leadership potential.
The key to becoming an effective leader is not the number of courses you've attended or how high-profile the leadership training you have attended is, it is how you interact and involve people to make the team or company almost lead itself.