We live in an age where there are a lot of choices for medicines needed to cure our illnesses. Science and technology has made it relatively easy for dozens of pharmaceutical companies to come up with generic medicines that are not only effective, but cost effective as well. From all of the many medicines to choose from, doctors may find it practically impossible to decide which brand of medicine to recommend to their patients. This is where pharmaceutical salespeople come in. These medicine salespeople are well versed in the medicines they sell and are a great resource of information regarding the products the company they represent manufactures and sell.
Becoming a pharmaceutical sales intern could be your big step into a life of luxury and privilege because being an intern lets you learn the basics of becoming a pharmaceutical salesperson.
Here are a few tips on how to become a pharmaceutical sales intern:
- Get a science degree. Pharmaceutical sales reps should have a degree in the sciences as they need a basic, functional knowledge of the products they’ll be representing.
- Down to business. Pharmaceutical sales reps are at the core of everything, salesmen. So having a basic understanding of marketing strategies and business theories will be a big help in convincing doctors and hospitals to believe in what you’re selling.
- Research online. A lot of pharmaceutical companies have online presences and they could be posting openings regarding internship opportunities. They may be listing their requirements for these internship openings so make sure that you meet their basic requirements before applying.
- Job fairs. Some of the major pharmaceutical companies often send representatives to colleges to recruit students for internships or entry-level positions. Check with your guidance office for dates and companies participating in the school job fairs.
- Do your research. When coming in for interviews, make it your business to learn everything about the drug companies you’re talking to. The more you know about their products and business practices gives you the appearance of someone who knows how to do his homework. That will give you an edge over other applicants.
- Tailor fit your resume. Fill your resume with references in sales or hard sciences. Drug companies are looking for people who can sell their products and answer some of the questions doctors and hospitals may have about their products.
Presently there are thousands of pharmaceutical sales representatives
currently operating in the country. This number varies depending on the
number of drugs the pharmaceutical companies produce at any given
season. Pharmaceutical sales reps earn a lot, not including the bonuses
they receive which can double their base salary, they also have a lot of
perks and benefits from the drug companies depending on how good they
are at selling their products.
Truly a lucrative career, pharmaceutical sales reps also have flexible
schedules and travel a lot. Getting a career going as a pharmaceutical
sales rep begins with the internship you can secure with any of the
major drug companies. Follow the steps above and you will be on your way
to becoming a great pharmaceutical sales rep.