Volunteering is one of the best ways to have a good time and to give back to your community. It is unfortunate that so many of us feel that we do not have the time to volunteer. We sometimes think we need a special skill or talent, which is not the situation. Most non-profit organizations in need of volunteers have jobs from parking to hosting. Getting people to volunteer is a talent in itself. Volunteers are the heart of any festival or non-profit program.
- Your first step should be to select a volunteer coordinator. The coordinator should be a person that is passionate about the festival. They can go into the community, and find the people that are willing to volunteer to work at the festival.
- Most communities have community bulletin boards where you can post notices, and information for volunteers.
- Colleges and universities are traditionally a good source for volunteers. The campus organizations may be in need of a community project. Other students may have a free weekend and a healthy appetite for altruism.
- Local businesses occasionally get involved in community festivals, encouraging their employees to volunteer.
- Publicity getting the word out is the best way to get people interested in your festival and in volunteering to help.
- Thank your volunteers with free T-shirts, free admission to the event, free beverages, and any other way you can think of to thank them.
Volunteers are just ordinary people who enjoy having a good time while giving back to the community. They just need to know that you are looking for people with their talents to make your festival a success.