There is nothing worse than trying to work in an office that is not organized. It can be an overwhelming feeling trying to work in an unorganized office. However, there are several ways to help keep your office organized. Here are a few tips on how to organize your office.
- First of all, you want to sort all of the paperwork sitting on your desk. If you haven't used that piece of paper or document in the last year, chances are, you don't need it. Purchase a filing cabinet or some kind of storage system, clearly label your files, and you will be well on your way to organizing your office.
- The next step to organizing your office, once you have thrown away or discarded old documents, is to go through the paperwork you have decided to keep. Organize your paperwork from the least important to the most important. As soon as you are done with a document, file it immediately. You can visit an office supply store and buy many types of filing systems and office supplies that are made specifically to help you stay organized. This is a very important step in keeping your office organized.
- Another tip to keeping your office organized is to rearrange your desk. It can be very overwhelming to try and process paperwork when your desk is cluttered. Purchase pens and pencil holders, and even put in shelving or a bookcase if necessary to hold books and files that do not need to be on your desk at all times. Consolidate your files and books. If you have more than one of the same file or book, throw it away.
- In addition to the above steps, you will want to have some kind of calendar to follow to keep yourself organized and up-to-date. You can use a desk calendar or even just use one on your computer. Search the Internet or use one of the online calendars that typically come with your email software. Make a list for your everyday activities and jobs that need to be completed. As you complete a task, check it off of your list.
- Keeping your office organized often involves not making it so homey that you can't work productively. If you have so many family items there to distract yourself, pare them down to only a few and keep the items off of your desk or to a minimum. This will help in keeping your office organized.
From time to time, step back and analyze your office. Does it look neat and clean and uncluttered? Have you been working productively? If not, rework the steps above and in no time, you will have once again learned how to keep your office organized.