With the diversity and global reach of e-commerce, a customer service desk has become a major component of any business. The help desk offers a variety of services to clients and customers who demand so much more than just plain buying and selling. This is also an essential tool to promote services and products around the world, where the availability of someone to answer a call, offer some help, answer some questions or receive a message demands an online presence 24 hours a day, 7 days a week throughout the year. Your business success depends on your online presence as well as the availability of a human being to provide an immediate, friendly, intelligent and helpful response.
Call handling can be done internally, meaning you have installed a call center team to handle all the calls during business hours with an interactive voice response mechanism for off-hour calls, or you can outsource it to a customer relations management (CRM) group specialized in this type of service for a round-the-clock presence. The help desk or customer service is your first contact point with your customer.
Whatever system you employ, here is how a client call is processed.
1. As soon as a call is received by a CRM agent, he/she processes the call and identifies what is needed:
- Request for information
- Customer complaint
- Rerouting of call to another individual or support team
2. The agent identifies the caller by asking for the customer’s personal profile and accesses the database for the customer’s history.
3. The agent determines the type of service that the caller requires and ensures that if it is a request for information, then that request has been fulfilled. If the call received is a complaint, then the agent must resolve the issue or reroute the call to the appropriate support team who can provide a solution.
4. The agent must document the call through a service ticket. The full details should be written on the service ticket.
5. He/she also has to document what information has been given, the solution provided and updates the request with complete details and closes the service ticket.
6. The CR agent may reroute the call to another party and make a request ticket with complete information before forwarding it to the appropriate support person. The agent should engage the caller and never put them on hold, even while waiting for the call to be picked up by another party.
7. A follow-up system should be in place when handling phone inquiries.
8. Call handling groups may offer call handling in different languages but English is universal.
For consistency, a CR agent is given a standard call handling script. It can sound like a boring monologue that is why call center agents are taught the proper way to deliver the script to make it sound friendly and welcoming. They are taught the proper phone etiquette as well as techniques to handle irate customers. They should have exemplary listening skills and the ability to guide the calls and keep customers on track.