Police academy is not for the fainthearted. The calling of a policeman is a delicate thing, with one foot always in danger when in action. It is not, however, something that all brusque and physically tough people are qualified for, although that is the basic requirement. Police academy, rigorous as is may be, is extremely organized and it calls to mind all the necessary theoretical preparations that you need for actual work. As a training ground, the police academy abides by strict policies and really places a premium on the caliber of its graduates.
The reputation of the police academy in values tiers such as campus, state, citizen, regional, county, etc. is one primary driving force that keeps the police academies concerned in keeping tiptop condition. There are various dispositions required of a police trainee which may not necessarily be as required for other fields. How will you know if you are suited for the versatile requirements of law enforcement academy, LAPD academy, police academy test, cop academy, or public safety academy? Here are certain things that you need to check out.
- Physically robust. A healthy body does not a policeman make, without also being physically robust to handle all the challenges of the work. In theory you may not need your gun shooting skills, but you will need to balance everything, especially when you do actual police work. Good health will also enable your other faculties to be at their best. Police trainees are expected to manifest good physical characteristics such as endurance and strength. It is not just enough to be free from illness, but be healthier than the average Joe.
- Mentally sound. A police trainee needs to have at least above average IQ. Policemen are known for being placed in situations that require quick thinking and resourcefulness. Mental acuity is a great advantage for police wannabees and if you are able to prove your mettle early on in the police academy, chances are you will be getting bigger breaks doing actual work from good recommendations. It is not enough that a police trainee's physical muscles are well-buffed. If you are really serious about this career, your mind needs to be able to handle the brainwork that comes with it.
- Coping mechanisms. You will also need the capacity to bounce back when you are beset with the challenges in the police academy. Less time for loved ones, certain adjustment issues and setbacks may discourage a police trainee if he or she is not really prepared for these things. The ability to adjust, be flexible and open to new ways of doing things make a good policeman.
- Fearlessness. The police force is marked with not just physical strength but the confidence and fierceness of a lion should the situation call for it. Fearlessness is not something that is given to a chosen few. Even the most reserved of men can prove to be a competent candidate for police academy if he or she is willing to take risks. The mere fact that one is willing to be in a police academy is already a sign of stepping up for courage. The key is to maintain that courage by taking that step daily until one gets in and it becomes second nature to you.
- Excellent balance and time management. To be an excellent candidate in the police academy is to have excellent work/life balance, ethics and superb time management. Officers and teachers in the police academy will not take it lightly, even if you are a newbie in the academy. So you need to be able to find a system that works for you and fit all of your life's activities in it.
Being in a police academy is difficult, but not impossible. Armed with these considerations in mind, you do not have the tools just for preparing for the police academy, but also for preparing in major life decisions, in general.